Type of wood?

Can any one tell me what kind of wood this is? It's light-colored, feels like a hardwood, has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Why do I have to enable Javascript to view it?

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------------------------------ Just to give you something to bitch about.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As a result, I didn't view it either. No loss to Michael, I suspect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Kinda blurry, but looks like maple.

Reply to
Swingman

looks kinda like basswood

Reply to
willshak

My opinion too.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks for the info, people who responded. I've been looking at pictures on the web and can't tell. I'm making a box for a charity auction (it's supposed to have other stuff inside). I guess I could label it "Maple or possibly Basswood + Red Oak Splines."

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Basswood tends to be rather soft, while maple isn't all that soft. I don't have a lot of experience with working either material, so I can't say more than that.

You'd probably see advertising for something with an unknown hardwood marked as "hardwood spline" rather than stating a specific wood.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Uhh not sure what these others are thinking but that is Cherry. Color, grain, dark sap marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

BTW I wish I could say "it doesn't smell like much when I cut it."

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Looks like Maple.

Reply to
woodchucker

Could be, but I'm still thinking maple.. but you are right it could be Cherry.

Reply to
woodchucker

I was thinking maple, but the grain on the far left really looks like cherry.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Obviously it's dogwood.

Looks to me like he is guarding it. ;)

Reply to
Joe

Those "dark sap marks" are what's known as mineral streaks, much more common in maple than cherry. I guess we'll only know for sure after some stain is slathered on. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I was actually thinking Birch, myself. Those brown stripes are distinctive.

It will be a bit less dense than maple, and perhaps a bit more towards the yellow than the white.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

FWIW,

The top row of pictures show close ups of Maple. That is my vote.

That said, cut a small piece and let it burn against the blade.

Maple will typically turn brown, cherry will typically turn dark red.

Reply to
Leon

I can't really smell the cherry cigar smell. I'll try this test.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.

It's maple.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:Lt7eu.123339$ snipped-for-privacy@fx20.iad:

has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

Yes, they are -- distinctively maple. Color and grain are wrong for birch, too.

Whether birch is less or more dense than maple depends on which maple you're comparing it to: birch is slightly less dense than hard maple, but a whole lot *more* dense than soft maple.

Reply to
Doug Miller