Type of wood?

In the old days, they used hickory. And then for many years it was ash. Now , most bats are made of maple (ash too). They seem to have a little more po p. But maple often shattered, endangering players and fans. They changed th e specs a little bit and use a dye to make sure the bat makers can find the smaller veins in maple. There were far fewer shattered maple bats in the M LB this year.

Reply to
Michael

Learn something new every day. Thanks.

We learned that in sand-lot baseball. I suppose that doesn't exist anymore either.

Reply to
krw

I managed to find the owner of the wood outside today, and I took along a book with some pictures of wood with "defects", and asked him about his cherry wood. He said that it has been stored indoors for 15 years (not stickered, no water damage, no bugs), and he said it was straight. The main criticism he had of it was that is was of uneven thicknesses, widths and lengths. He estimated quantity at 200-250 bd-ft. He affirmed that he was going to bring it to his house near me, though he does not seem in a hurry, and I asked him to please let me know when did so. I know he does not wish to own it, so a suspect a "pick and choose" deal may not be reasonable to him. Will keep you posted!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Stored indoor is good news.

The lengths, thickness and widths are exactly what you would expect from a sawmill/wood cut off the land and stored, so that should be no surprise.

Also, there is not that much to hurt you if the price is close to your budget.

Jointer, planer and a table saw and you're in business. Or, in lieu of the jointer, a Festool track saw. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

willshak