Type of wood?

Page 3 of 4
On 11/4/2013 12:10 AM, Michael wrote:

Looks like Maple.
--
Jeff

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 21:10:14 -0800 (PST), Michael

Obviously it's dogwood.
Looks to me like he is guarding it. ;)
On 11/3/2013 11:10 PM, Michael wrote:

FWIW,
http://aacerflooring.com/residential-flooring/education/characteristics-of-wood/
The top row of pictures show close ups of Maple. That is my vote.
That said, cut a small piece and let it burn against the blade.
Maple will typically turn brown, cherry will typically turn dark red.
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:46:22 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I can't really smell the cherry cigar smell. I'll try this test.
Thanks.

some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

Maple.
See if you can dent it with your fingernail -- if you can easily leave a noticeable mark, it's soft maple; if you can't dent it at all, or leave a faint mark only with considerable effort, it's hard maple.
I vote soft maple.
Maybe comparing the end grain of your lumber to the end grain pics on this site - http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ - maple vs cherry, would help. The "Maple, misc" listing has a few more pics, also.
Sonny
Related topic:
I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an "extra property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of cherry boards he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He brought me a small sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since it would need so much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so, might be a fair price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer and I'm pretty sure he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the consensus thinks would be a fair offer.
Bill
Bill wrote:

I know I should check for things like cracking. Anything else, like "bugs"? I don't know if the boards are resting on dirt or concrete.
Cherry would fit into my plans pretty well, I hope he has plenty! Floor space will go q quick! : )
Bill
On 11/6/2013 7:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill, most cherry is selling for anywhere from 3.35 to 4.50 a bd ft for 4/4 depending on locale.
Figured higher.
if his wood has been well stored and covered , stickered you can expect to pay around that. If on the other hand it was already surfaced, I devalue that, since I can't fix it without going thinner.
If it has been stored uncovered and exposed to sunlight, that would devalue it as it is probably not evenly darkened.
If it is all twisted and looks like a pretzel it can be good fire wood.
It depends on it's shape is what I am saying. If it has bugs, consider where you are going to store it ,and if you can aford to spray it with insecticides with your allergies. Do understand spraying is only getting at the surface to really do damage to the critters you have to spray down the tunnels, and let it run. Unless they are bark borers..
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

Jeff, Thank you! You raised some really good points that didn't even occur to me. He told me that someone gave the wood to him quite a long while back. If it needs to be treated with insecticides then I will walk away (thanks for bring up the allergy point). Also, I don't want extra wood-eaters near my house! I just tossed out a "shop worm"--I'm not sure how it got it (it's raining outside)! You provided me with some good questions to ask or think about (before making the 30 mile trip)! BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were selling cherry for as little as $2/bd-ft. Like you said, location, location, location!
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were

------------------------------------------------------- If it is a reputable local mill offering cherry for $2/bf, why are you wasting time looking elsewhere?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It wasn't local. It was a few hundred miles due south When I mentioned that I thought cherry was going for about $7 his eyes lit up and he agreed with me. But all of his wood would have to be "reconditioned". I didn't mean I was expecting to pay him that much. On the other hand, provided it's usable, I'll be willing to take it all off his hands.
Some cherry here: http://irsauctions.com/index_search_results.asp?indP&srch66
On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 00:22:57 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Depending on grade, in that range here http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/pdf/cwghardwoodpricelist.pdf
On 11/7/2013 4:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

About time someone introduced the the most important factor in the price, "grade".
Bill, without taking grade into consideration, you can't do anything but average a stack of wood without going though each board individually, so use this as your rationale for offering, on the low side, what you think is a fair price.
IOW, 25% higher waste, even at FAS price, is damned expensive when it comes to hardwoods.
The other thing is to settle on a higher price for your ability to pick and choose.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/7/2013 9:24 AM, Swingman wrote:

Thank you. I've learned enough from everyone's comments to pursue this Much More Intelligently (than just buying a "big stack of cherry")!
Bill

I normally buy #1 common. The sizes needed for 90% of what I make can be easily cut out of that; if not, I can usually find a place to bury (hide) it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Bill wrote:

I took it for granted that it would all need to be run through a jointer. Do those effects from the exposure to sunlight, etc, run deep? Based on the evidence, I think it's fair to say that the tree(s) were cut down at least 10 years ago. Maybe that's not so much in tree or dog-years. I get the feeling that the wood is stored in an outdoor shelter. And ratts, that's the sort of question I should have already asked... (however, you are teaching me).
I learned that cherry weighs about 3#/board-ft, so that provides another weigh to measure it. OTOH, I suspect I will do probably do better just offering a dollar amount for the whole lot--"as is, where is" (and that seems more normal to ordinary folks). Because of my flexibility in most aspects of this transaction, I would expect to get a price break compared to the typical retail price.
Bill
Bill wrote: Because of my flexibility in most aspects of this transaction, I would expect to get a price break compared to the typical retail price.

If necessary, I'll remind him that he told me that a neighbor gave him the wood for free! : )
Cheers, Bill
On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:27:05 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:

, I would expect to get a price break compared to the typical retail price. > > If necessary, I'll remind him that he told me that a neighbor gave him the wood for free! : ) Cheers, Bill
If it's rough cut, it may not be kiln dried. If it's rough cut, at least s ome would likely be warped and twisted, unless stickered really well. If it 's ever gotten wet, it may have water marks. These are aspects of lumber I look for, here, in south Louisiana. Lumber in your area may be differe nt.
Sonny

I suspect it is a little warped and twisted. How much of that can I get away with in an 6 foot 4/4 piece? Not too much, huh?