Type of wood?

Michael wrote in news:5627e6dc-229e-49b4-ac95- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

Maple.

See if you can dent it with your fingernail -- if you can easily leave a noticeable mark, it's soft maple; if you can't dent it at all, or leave a faint mark only with considerable effort, it's hard maple.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Mineral streaks more common in Maple and especially soft Maple but sap marks in Cherry super common. Not the same animal.

That said, support for Maple and Birch now somewhat established by others comments IMHO but if the photo is true in color then the pink = Cherry.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

While I still think it is maple and not to argue here but the cherry that we get in Houston tends to be quite lite in color. I find that it is so lite that is often difficult to tell from some of the maple unless it is right next to the maple. If I stare at it for a while I can tell that the local cherry is not maple but not at first glance.

For instance, this cherry looks a whole lot like maple.

Leon

I wonder if computer screens are throwing us off. I went back and looked again and still think it is cherry. Too pink to be ma[le.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Same here. I have had cherry that is difficult to tell from maple even side by side. And that is why I stepped back and gave some room...

I like Leon's test of the color of the burn, very true that they have different burn colors. To me both burn too easily.. I alway push cherry as fast as it will go to avoid burning. So just slow down let it burn and determine the color.

Reply to
woodchucker

Perhaps your monitor. My is calibrated and I see no pink. That picture, however is a little warm in temperature which may be screwing to more pink in your monitor.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I vote soft maple.

Maybe comparing the end grain of your lumber to the end grain pics on this site -

- maple vs cherry, would help. The "Maple, misc" listing has a few more pics, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have over 10k bf of Cherry right now. Good Appalachian Cherry. Much of it is darker and much of it is lighter than those pieces. Most of it when freshly milled is about that color.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Can you send some of it my way..

Reply to
woodchucker

I will attempt to sell most of it off once I finish a long term (remodel) project that has me buried right now. If you are in the SF Bay Area you are welcome to buy all you need. I'll prob announce it here once I get my act together.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Related topic:

I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an "extra property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of cherry boards he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He brought me a small sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since it would need so much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so, might be a fair price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer and I'm pretty sure he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the consensus thinks would be a fair offer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Has anyone told you that YOU SUCK, recently?

When are you going to start selling the Mission table kits?

Reply to
krw

I know I should check for things like cracking. Anything else, like "bugs"? I don't know if the boards are resting on dirt or concrete.

Cherry would fit into my plans pretty well, I hope he has plenty! Floor space will go q quick! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, most cherry is selling for anywhere from 3.35 to 4.50 a bd ft for

4/4 depending on locale.

Figured higher.

if his wood has been well stored and covered , stickered you can expect to pay around that. If on the other hand it was already surfaced, I devalue that, since I can't fix it without going thinner.

If it has been stored uncovered and exposed to sunlight, that would devalue it as it is probably not evenly darkened.

If it is all twisted and looks like a pretzel it can be good fire wood.

It depends on it's shape is what I am saying. If it has bugs, consider where you are going to store it ,and if you can aford to spray it with insecticides with your allergies. Do understand spraying is only getting at the surface to really do damage to the critters you have to spray down the tunnels, and let it run. Unless they are bark borers..

Reply to
woodchucker

NJ and it would not pay for me to ship it. I have noticed a drop off in desire for cherry again.. still strong, but not as strong as b4..

Reply to
woodchucker

Jeff, Thank you! You raised some really good points that didn't even occur to me. He told me that someone gave the wood to him quite a long while back. If it needs to be treated with insecticides then I will walk away (thanks for bring up the allergy point). Also, I don't want extra wood-eaters near my house! I just tossed out a "shop worm"--I'm not sure how it got it (it's raining outside)! You provided me with some good questions to ask or think about (before making the 30 mile trip)! BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were selling cherry for as little as $2/bd-ft. Like you said, location, location, location!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were

------------------------------------------------------- If it is a reputable local mill offering cherry for $2/bf, why are you wasting time looking elsewhere?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It wasn't local. It was a few hundred miles due south When I mentioned that I thought cherry was going for about $7 his eyes lit up and he agreed with me. But all of his wood would have to be "reconditioned". I didn't mean I was expecting to pay him that much. On the other hand, provided it's usable, I'll be willing to take it all off his hands.

Some cherry here:

Bill

I took it for granted that it would all need to be run through a jointer. Do those effects from the exposure to sunlight, etc, run deep? Based on the evidence, I think it's fair to say that the tree(s) were cut down at least 10 years ago. Maybe that's not so much in tree or dog-years. I get the feeling that the wood is stored in an outdoor shelter. And ratts, that's the sort of question I should have already asked... (however, you are teaching me).

I learned that cherry weighs about 3#/board-ft, so that provides another weigh to measure it. OTOH, I suspect I will do probably do better just offering a dollar amount for the whole lot--"as is, where is" (and that seems more normal to ordinary folks). Because of my flexibility in most aspects of this transaction, I would expect to get a price break compared to the typical retail price.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote: Because of my flexibility in most aspects of this transaction, I would expect to get a price break compared to the typical retail price.

If necessary, I'll remind him that he told me that a neighbor gave him the wood for free! : )

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill