Type of wood?

Page 2 of 4

I was actually thinking Birch, myself. Those brown stripes are distinctive.
It will be a bit less dense than maple, and perhaps a bit more towards the yellow than the white.
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in writes:

has some interesting brown marking, doesn't particularly smell like anything when I cut it.

marks. It should burn easily if you slow cut on a high speed tool and then smell a bit like a cherry cigar.

Yes, they are -- distinctively maple. Color and grain are wrong for birch, too.

Whether birch is less or more dense than maple depends on which maple you're comparing it to: birch is slightly less dense than hard maple, but a whole lot *more* dense than soft maple.

Those "dark sap marks" are what's known as mineral streaks, much more common in maple than cherry. I guess we'll only know for sure after some stain is slathered on. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Mineral streaks more common in Maple and especially soft Maple but sap marks in Cherry super common. Not the same animal.
That said, support for Maple and Birch now somewhat established by others comments IMHO but if the photo is true in color then the pink = Cherry.

No, it's not. The color is totally wrong for cherry, not nearly dark or red enough. Sap marks are too wide for cherry, and also not dark enough.
It's maple.
On 11/5/2013 5:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

While I still think it is maple and not to argue here but the cherry that we get in Houston tends to be quite lite in color. I find that it is so lite that is often difficult to tell from some of the maple unless it is right next to the maple. If I stare at it for a while I can tell that the local cherry is not maple but not at first glance.
For instance, this cherry looks a whole lot like maple.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 11/5/2013 8:49 PM, Leon wrote:

Same here. I have had cherry that is difficult to tell from maple even side by side. And that is why I stepped back and gave some room...
I like Leon's test of the color of the burn, very true that they have different burn colors. To me both burn too easily.. I alway push cherry as fast as it will go to avoid burning. So just slow down let it burn and determine the color.
--
Jeff

On 11/5/2013 6:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I wonder if computer screens are throwing us off. I went back and looked again and still think it is cherry. Too pink to be ma[le.
On 11/5/13, 8:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Perhaps your monitor. My is calibrated and I see no pink. That picture, however is a little warm in temperature which may be screwing to more pink in your monitor.
--

-MIKE-

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:10:14 PM UTC-8, Doug Miller wrote:

I have over 10k bf of Cherry right now. Good Appalachian Cherry. Much of it is darker and much of it is lighter than those pieces. Most of it when freshly milled is about that color.

Can you send some of it my way..
--
Jeff

I will attempt to sell most of it off once I finish a long term (remodel) project that has me buried right now. If you are in the SF Bay Area you are welcome to buy all you need. I'll prob announce it here once I get my act together.

NJ and it would not pay for me to ship it. I have noticed a drop off in desire for cherry again.. still strong, but not as strong as b4..
--
Jeff

Amazing. Is there a drop off in the demand for wood, in general? I think Cherry is the nicest looking wood around, for furniture anyway. I have noticed that furniture stores are only carrying very dark (might just as well be painted black) "wood", these days. I suppose it's the style. Maybe the same deal with Cherry?
message wrote:

Me too. I don't care much at all for either cherry or maple. Walnut I like. Ditto mahogany and hickory (a too often overlooked wood); others too but those are the common ones.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Has anyone told you that YOU SUCK, recently?
When are you going to start selling the Mission table kits?

I am told I suck all the time but not for reasons of envy.
Glad you are interested in the Mission kits. If you notice on my website I say they will be available in late 2011 (I think). That is still the plan ; ^).
I haven't had any time to concentrate on the kit business. The Pine kits we re a big fail although my research showed that Mission\Craftsman\Arts and C raft\Stickley anything would sell about 10x better than the cheapo pine stu ff. I just didn't have the cash to invest in inventory (QS white oak and ma ybe Cherry) (on speculation) for the (side) business.
I came across the Cherry and negotiated it for about $0.75 bf and it includ ed 500 bf of 6/4 and 8/4 white oak beams all 10 ft and 12" wide min up to 1 5" wide. Actually negotiated for $1.00 bf but our estimate of the size of the stacks was wrong and it was by about 25%. Intent was to put this wood i nto the kit business but just haven't had the spare cash to speculate, buil d the kits, run the advertising, etc.
It is still the dream and may do it once my real job kicks me out or I reti re, etc. Maybe sooner than that but kind of on hold as life proceeds.
On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:26:06 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Envy? Well, I suppose we both can't have the same stack of wood. ;-)

;-)
I am interested. Very. I've been watching for some time, now. Since late 2011 was a possibility, anyway.

Yeah, I'm not interested in Pine, either. BTDTDLTR (didn't like the results). If I'm going to go through that I want real furniture. Since all of our good furniture us Cherry,...

If you do, please post a notice here. We're looking for exactly what you're teasing us with. ;-)
I gotta find a good source of wood. I have a bunch of Ash but it's not in good shape and eight or so 8' 8/4 Maple 2x10s (complete with tap holes) that I don't know what I'm going to do with (that I've moved four times now). Buying it from Woodcraft for furniture is just stupid expensive. Might just as well buy Stickley.

Yeah my ash isn't in that good of shape either.
On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:41:29 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

I bet the planer didn't take divots out of it, though.