Type of paint for cabinets in garage

------------------------------------------------------------ "John McCoy" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- The use of 3/4" ply panels turns the 2" poplar into little more than edge banding, so having the ply and poplar the same thickness has some merit, especially when mounting hinges which allows 2" wide rather than 2-1/4" wide stock.

Using rail and stile construction eliminates mitered corners.

The ply panels are glued into the poplar frame.

As far as weight is concerned, 3/4" ply weighs about 2 lbs/sq ft.

An 18" wide x 30" tall panel would weigh less than 8 lbs.

Hardly anything to get excited about.

Since the poplar serves as edge banding, think of the door as a top that is mounted vertically.

Yes you could use thinner panels, but why bother?

These are shop cabinets, not interior kitchen cabinets.

Strong like bull works for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:54b1b26f$0$42944 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Ah, I see what you're thinking. I think, if I wasn't going to float the panel, I would simply edge-band it with poplar (or whatever hardwood was handy, since it'll be painted), thick enough to hold the hinge screws but no more. I would miter it, altho as you say since the banding isn't structural it could just be butted.

Well, stryped should certainly have plenty of different ideas on how to solve his problem now :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy