Two worthwhile products to check out

This week, I finished spraying some test parts with a "fast dry polyurethane", recommended by Robert, the Shooter of Nails.

The Fast Dry Polyurethane finish is made by these folks:

This product is actually a solvent lacquer (flammable and toxic!), that converts to a cross-linked polyurethane after six hours. It handles just like nitrocellulose lacquer, spraying beautifully, drying to the touch in 5-10 minutes, it can be "flow coated", and subsequent coats "burn-in" to the previous coat. Lacquer thinner is used for reduction and clean up. I used Kleen Strip, a widely available paint store / home center brand of lacquer thinner. All coats need to be completed before the six hour window expires, or after a 5 day wait.

I did some test panels with gloss, semi-gloss, and satin. Kwick Kleen's "Flow Cote" additive was used on the final coat of each. The satin is a dead ringer for the classic "dull" nitrocellulose lacquer look, with the durability of polyurethane. There is NO plastic look, NONE, with a beautiful "off-the-gun" finish!

My test panels and subsequent first project, a simple ribbon stripe mahogany mirror frame, were relatively small, so I passed on my Fuji HVLP, and sprayed them with a Critter @ 40 PSI. I'm really happy with the results, and feel the price of the product is reasonable. I ordered my product in quarts to avoid Hazmat shipping surcharges.

During the test, I made an extra panel that I plan on abusing once the finish is fully cured. My plan is to put hot and cold drinks, spilled booze, dropped keys, pickles, condiments, etc... on the panel. Once I beat on it, I will then try to repair the damage, completing the test cycle for finishing products.

This was also my first opportunity to try my new "Painter's Pyramids":

These are nailboard substitutes, in the form of nesting pyramids (think stacked paper cups), that claim to be more easily stored. I like them, and am glad I bought them. Nailboards are a pain to store in my small basement shop, and these will come in handy.

The pyramids are sold by many woodworking suppliers, and the finish was purchased directly from Kwick Kleen.

**
**

B A R R Y

SonomaProducts.com

As you can see, I'm pretty impressed with the stuff. The mirror frame is going on a medicine cabinet door in my house's main bathroom, with a good amount of handling and varying climates expected. I though this might be a good test subject for the finish.

Since Kwick Kleen is honest enough to tell you which generic thinners to use, rather than to use only their products, all you need is a quart of finish to play. I thinned it ~ 25% for the Critter. KK states the finish is 21% solids.

BTW, no affiliation with either company, I paid full price for the products through normal retail channels.

**
**

B A R R Y

Wow, an objective product post and well written.

Thanks and let us know how your abuse tests work out!

jc

Reply to
Joe