Two Tool Recommendations-- Life Savers

Last week, I played mechanic and had to replace an oil pan gasket on our 99 Ford Taurus with 160k+ miles. This required the removal of the exhaust pipes from the manifold flanges. Anyone who's attempted this knows how rusty and brittle those manifold stud bolts and nuts can get. I've heard nightmare stories about them snapping, or cracking the manifold casting, etc.
Of course, on mine, the nuts were rusted half off and practically welded to the studs. After spraying with penetrating oil and letting sit, these things were just not moving, because they were rounded over and undersized from the rust.
So I picked up a set of these Irwin Bolt Extractors: <http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/browse.jhtml?catId=IrwinCat100511
The 12mm stud bolts were long and actually too thick to fit through the hole in the bolt extractor, so I thought I had wasted my money. Then I decided to try something. The heads on these studs are actually rectangular.
http://info.rockauto.com/RB/kit03131-007.jpg
I took the smallest Irwin extractor, 5/16-8mm, and put it on that rectangular head, used my breaker bar with a pipe on the end, pulled hard on that bad boy from about 3 to 5 o'clock and then "POP!" and a small cloud of rust-dust poofed out from above the manifold. Sucker was loose! Did the same to the other stud bolt, which looked in worse shape than the first.
I had another 12mm head starter motor bolt that was rounded off and the proper sized Irwin extractor took it off like it was a wingnut.
Next, I had a couple 6mm machine screws (that hold the oil pan) with sheared off heads. You've all seen these on the TV infomercials... <http://www.aldn.com/grabit/
I was skeptical, but the Grabit worked perfectly and took them both out without doing any damage to anything other than what it removed.
So two thumbs up for both of these products. WELL worth the money.
--

-MIKE-

Hey, you don't have dyed black hair and a dyed black beard and alwasy wear a blue shirt, talk real loud and fast and have your own 1/2 hour TV shows about wierd products that would never sell if sitting on a store shelf?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

No, but I love that Discovery channel show and enjoyed the coincidence of them being featured on this week's episode. :-)
FWIW, I bought the Grabits off the shelf of the local Ace store. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Yeah, I saw parts of the "Pitchman" show and if I recall, the Grabits were actually failing to pay-off on the commercials. So maybe they belong on store shelves.
What I found interesting was that the TV Brands (or whatever the companies name was that was making the commercials) was actually not charging the product company for the ads but was doing them on spec and taking a slice of the sales price. Great business model, now if I can just get them interested in my chain saw turkey carving tool complete with splash guard and ceiling scraper.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

You need to show that to the guy from the other Discovery show, "Doing da Vinci," who refuses to use anything but a chain saw for everything. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

deck screws cam out just a little too far in to get them out with the vise-grips.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
"-MIKE-" wrote:

Next time start with Kroil, hasn't failed me yet.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have the spray can. :-)
--

-MIKE-

SPAMMER!!!!
Well, somebody had to do it.
Thanks Mike. That is the practical nuts and bolts stuff that is much appreciated here.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Just want to make you aware of the ridiculously obvious pun you wrote, just in case it was an accident. :-p
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote ...

I prefer to think of it as serendipity. ;-)
-MIKE- wrote:

some in the head after trying to get my exhaust manifolds off. But my problem is I couldn't get a drill in to extract them. Have to pull the Heads to get to them. Which sucks big time.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"