Two Scroll Saw Questions

I bought a 25 dollar Craftsman scroll saw at a rummage sale and spend a few hours last night making jigsaw puzzles out of hardboard for a party. (Thanks for the tip! The project worked out really well.)

I've never used one before, and I don't know a lot about the tool. I have a couple of questions.

1) I bought Olson No.5 blades with the reverse teeth (even though the manual said to use blades going one way) because the package said it created a smoother cut on both sides. Is this hype or are these blades a little better?

2) What is the purpose of using slower speeds? I cranked it to the highest speed, worked for four hours. I broke a couple of blades, but I figured that was par for the course.

3) (I know, I said a couple of questions) How do you tension blades? I tightened until I could easily move the blade an 1/8 on an inch either way. Is that about right?

Thanks for the help.

S.

Reply to
samson

It depends. What is the stroke and how thick is the material? If you are talking about using those in 1/4" hardboard, don't bother. ____________

To cut more slowly. Control. _____________

Not for me, way too loose.

Reply to
dadiOH

there are a great group of folks at Scrollsawer.com hosted by Fox Chapel publishing the forum has members from all over the world with tons of knowledge here is the link

you can read all sorts of info but to post you must be registered HTH

Reply to
Daryl Walters

Reverse fret blades do work better, giving less splintering on the bottom. I use them almost exclusively.

I use Flying Dutchman blades from Mikes workshop. They are the best blades that I have tried. Except for some heavy duty blades which I think had a defect, the other blades almost never break. I tighten the blades as tight as I can get them. It makes for better control and straighter cuts. With 1/8" deflection the blades will bow on thicker wood. You slow the speed down for better control.

Some of my scroll saw work is at

Ray

That's some beautiful work there. Thanks very much for the information!

S.

Reply to
samson