Two for Tuesday

Introducing the Toyota Setsuna http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11380818/toyota-setsuna-wood-concept-car-family-heirloom
Incredible Oak Stump Chair http://twistedsifter.com/2016/03/chair-hand-carved-from-single-oak-stump-by-alex-johnson
Spalted Walt wrote:

A chair like that would keep Sonny busy for a couple of weekends, at least.
--
GW Ross

This is precisely the sort of thing
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:06:40 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

LOL. I'm not that ambitious, besides, I don't think my carving skills are up to the task. That's one heck of a chair. *I like it.
Sonny
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:47:41 +0000, Spalted Walt wrote:

There'll be an awful lot of racking going on :-).
carrying a cross.
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:47:43 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

"The company notes that wood's characteristics change over time, depending on the temperature and humidity levels it is exposed to and how well it's taken care of."
One week it's an SUV, the next it's a mini-cooper.
BTW does it have a "trunk"? ;-)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:16:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

It's a "concept car". It doesn't have to be useful for anything. ;-)
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 2:38:50 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

Did we miss the "trunk" pun?
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:05:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Whoosh! <didn't even duck>

I suspect (from looking at the pictures) that the underlying structure is glued with epoxy or something similar, much like the structure of a boat would be. So I doubt there would be radical changes in shape.
The outer panels (body) seem to just hang on the underlying frame, which allows for expansion and contraction, but seems a little insecure for highway speeds.
John

I thought I read here on the rec last week that HF had some good yellow glue ;-)
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

Take a look at the close up of the joint about 7 up from the bottom. Pinned bridle joint with the pin split and wedged from the looks of it.

says... >> I suspect (from looking at the pictures) that the underlying

Yeah, I read some other articles on it, and they've used quite a few different joinery techniques. The pinned bridle joint you noted, wedged tenons, sliding dovetails, probably more (there doesn't seem to be any good source to translate Japanese joinery terms to English).
None the less, I still think parts of the structure are glued. You can see what looks like squeezeout and glue lines on some of the joints.
I also read that the intended top speed is only 25-28mph, which makes hanging the body panels off the structure without fasteners a bit more practical.
John
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:47:41 +0000

one mans stump is another mans car or car seat