TV Woodworking Shows--What hapened?

That's the one I was referring to. There was another where the guy basically just sanded a panel with a Festool sander for a minute, then they paused to tell us that ad for Festool was brought to you by Festool. The guy did have some skills going after the bevel edges of the panel with the ROS. Or possibly he destroyed the thing. Too small and blurry to tell.
I realize they have to have ads, and it's better to have them be related to the subject. People are smart enough to figure out what's an ad.
I really enjoyed the turning "scoop" or whatever he called it.
-Leuf
Now, here's the downside. Once you have watched everything on the woodworking channel, wait a year before going back to the site. They occasionally have something different but the majority of it has been running for about a year, over and over.

... and that's different from regular TV, how? :-)

As has already been pointed out, you almost surely mean PBS. And "two weeks a year?" It must be at least two weeks per quarter, maybe more. I'd be happy if it was only two weeks a year.

Apples and oranges. David Marks only appeared on DIY (and still does, as you point out, in reruns). No new episodes have been made in at least three years.
NYW original episodes and recent reruns only appear on PBS. For a few years the older seasons (beginning with the first) were broadcast on HGTV, but that expired approximately four years ago, also. I doubt you'll be seeing any NYW programs older than about 2002 on PBS.
On both the satellite (with certain exceptions) and cable, you get the local PBS outlet, not the national feed. As has been pointed out elsewhere, the local stations may or may not carry NYW or any other of the various woodworking content.
I get three local PBSes on my satellite. The three major woodworking shows, NYW, American Woodshop, and The Woodwright's Shop are not all shown on any one of the three stations. All three do carry NYW, but only one carries TWWS (and it has the least coverage of the three stations), and only one carries AW (one of the other outlets).

You are the victim of local programming for those shows (NYW and TOH). Marks' show explained above.

Yeah, HGTV really went downhill with that and frankly, with the exception of Marks' show, DIY has never been up the hill.

Fortunately, on my satellite (DishNetwork), in addition to IFC, TCM, and FoxMovies (all of which play without commercials, and I believe are on the basic package), I get six or seven other movie channels (not PPV and not exactly premium like HBO, but bundled in a higher level package which includes DIY and the Military Channel).
There is a lot of time to fill on those (and other movie channels) and frankly, a trip to any video store will confirm that there is just about the same percentage of quality content on cable/satellite as there is on video (which means the general video library). That means not a lot of quality content available to fill that mass of air time.
Don't forget that your idea of quality content may not be the same as my idea of quality content (or others') so the content deciders are facing a no-win proposition in their programming decisions, no matter what. If not one more chop-socky movie were ever played, I'd be a happy camper, for example.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Cable here in NJ has been showing Woodturning Workshop from (I think) channel 21 in Long Island. However the show appears to be affiliated with Rutgers. I do not know if theses are old shows or if more are being made since recent shows have been repeats. There has been some very nice photography showing quite clearly the tool presentation on the work piece.
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:54:43 GMT, John Siegel

If you're talking about the one with Tim Yoder as the host, that's out of Rogers State University in Oklahoma. I like that a lot. He cracks me up every time he tries to pronounce cyanoacrylate and I like his teaching "always sneak up on a bead."
It's a far better show than "Woodturning Techniques" which was on DIY for quite a while.
From the program notes incuded on my satellite, the first ones aired about a year ago, and it seems like they have around 15 or 20 in the can.
I get it on my third of three PBS stations.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

This one is on a TiVo season pass. I like the fellow's style. And there's a Yoder in the family tree, back a handful of generations, too.
Patriarch
LRod wrote:

Yes that is the one. THe latest one to show/repeat here was the episode about felling a tree. John

Back before I utterly gave up on PBS, I swear it was 2 weeks a month. It just never ended.