TV Wall complete

Page 1 of 2
The TV wall is now complete. Next step is to build the lower console.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44356854@N05/9689880972/lightbox/
Leon wrote:

Sharp!
Bill
On 9/6/2013 4:51 PM, Bill wrote:

Thank you Bill.

Dang it all, Mike!!!
You made me look ! ! !
JIm in NC

Very nice, it really stands out. I'm always amazed by the speed that you build stuff.

Thank you. It did get done sorta quickly, 1week. It helps speed things along when you have explicit drawings to work with. Thank you Shetchup. That said I think it took 3 weeks to hone the concept.

I'm in a different camp. When building stuff for myself, even though I might have created explicit plans, I continually find myself making small and large modifications along the way. Sometimes it leads to disaster, but it mostly turns out better than I'd hoped.
Since I live in an apartment, I usually draw and plan in the winter and build in the other seasons. Drawing season is rapidly approaching. Ashamed to say that I've yet to start experimenting with Sketchup. I keep finding myself going back to a several years old copy of Adobe Fireworks ~ mostly I guess because I know it. It's certainly not on par with Sketchup, but it's familiar and easy for me to use. But then, I'm not building at the frenzied rate you appear to be doing.

Well thAt is OK.

I drew a model of our house using a copy of the floor plan portion of the builders blue prints of our current home. The model is pretty accurate even though I added the dimensions of the walls, doors, windows, arches, etc. No roof, so to speak. With AutoCAD I drew our previous home from my own measurements. I used and use these models to see how a new piece of furniture will look and fit. I can look at any point of view and get a really good idea of what the end result will look like. Our 8'x8' pantry that I build about 18 months ago was going to originally be a single dark Mocha color. After putting it in the model and viewing how it looked from the entry way of the house I decided that it was way too much dark brown so I made it two tone and that looked much better. I typically no longer make changes mid course in building so the building goes much faster.
Try learning Shetchup by drawing your apartment! It is something you can always use to help plan other furniture projects that you build for yourself.
Leon wrote:

+1

Yeah, I could do that. Any apartment I've ever moved into, I've first sketched out the floor plan on graph paper. For the current entertainment centre I'm using, I graphed out the floor of the largest elevator in my apartment and sized the entertainment centre to just be able to fit into it through the door.
I know, I know, it's just another thing I have to do and haven't gotten to yet. Maybe next year. ~:)

BTW. I noticed that there is now a yellow Frog Tape.. Longer time to leave it on a surface, lower adhesion and the claim to be able to use it on a one day old freshly painted surface.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
On Friday, September 6, 2013 4:10:31 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Beautiful, Leon.

Thank you sir.
On Friday, September 6, 2013 4:10:31 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

p://www.flickr.com/photos/44356854@N05/9689880972/lightbox/
Counting the TV, but not counting the upper pictures, there are 5 different colors in that whole niche area. Usually, that many contrasting colors ma kes for an awkward scenario, i.e., looking really busy. But it all actual ly coordinates pretty well. I'm sure with the console (dominant walnut co lor), it'll look even better. I like it. Good job!
And the division of the walnut panels lends itself to the openness of the a rea, i.e., not congesting the whole view, as I think a solid, one piece pan el may have done. That was a good idea to separate it, that way..... nice forethought!
Did you paint the back wall black, or is that some other back-boarding/inst allation?
*Mike, his blue rabbit-eared slippers wouldn't have coordinated well with t he rest of the scenario's colors.
Sonny

Thank you. The bottoms of the pictures are over 8' high, the walls are 11' tall. I love the height of our ceilings in this house and most of the furniture I have built for this house has been built to proportions to bring this out. I think that because I have so much wall space to work with that nothing seems to be crowded.

Thank you again for noticing that detail.

Yes, actually my wide painted the wall flat black while I mowed the yard this morning. And those shoes that you and Mike commented about ate my Timberland yard shoes. :-)

On 9/6/13 4:10 PM, Leon wrote:

Simple and beautiful, two of my favorite styles. Great work.
--

-MIKE-

Thank you Mike!
"Leon" wrote: