TV Stand Project and Cabinetry

Page 3 of 3
On 12/6/2012 9:46 AM, Swingman wrote:

It was just a lesson I picked up, I'm not married to it.
An "inset" door adds more to the aura of craftsmanship, ay?
I agree that a "fake stile" would be off the charts cheap! it took me a few seconds to even imagine one.
After I build a carcase, I can assess whether it will be able to support inset doors or not--or maybe just one of each! : )
On 12/6/2012 12:39 PM, Bill wrote:

Oops, I should have said a carcase and a *face frame*!
--or maybe just one of each! : )

On 12/6/2012 11:54 AM, Bill wrote:

Listen up!
<preach mode>
Equally important with batch cutting, and the overriding pursuit of square, in building cabinetry and furniture:
Design parameters, and certainly the final dimensions of many components (doors and drawers), more often than not hinge (no pun intended) upon the hardware being used!
Rule: Decide upon the hardware you are going to use for the entire project ...to wit: hinges and hardware for the doors; drawer slides and hardware for the drawers.
Rule: Then purchase those hinges, drawer slides and all hardware _BEFORE_ you begin the project; or, at a very minimum, satisfy yourself 110% that said hardware, or alternate hardware that requires the exact same dimensions you built to, will be available upon completion.
There are NO exceptions to the two above rules ... none.
Or, more simply put: Decide upon your hardware before you design and build.
</preach mode>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Bill wrote:

I can't say I agree with you (or Swingman) on this. The stile isn't fake except that it isn't part of the face frame. What it does is give you complete access to a large, double door cabinet.
Logically, large things are stored in large cabinets and if there were a center stile on the face frame the size of storable items would be cut way down.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 12/6/2012 3:59 PM, dadiOH wrote:

On a properly designed, modern cabinet and properly hung/hinged doors I can get that without a center stile, and, better yet, without having to open and close cabinet doors in sequence:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopKitchensInNewConstruction20022011#5661516994414540946
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopKitchensInNewConstruction20022011#5661516985289451570
Thirty years ago, both those cabinets would have had partial inset doors with a fake center stile because it was easier/cheaper to do it that way, and took less skill.
Even worse on frameless cabinets ... ugh.

Not necessary in today's modern kitchen, as shown above.
Besides, there is little as fugly as the ubiquitous dings on the adjacent door made by the fake stile when opening/closing in the wrong sequence ... unless it is the ubiquitous off-the-shelf molding traditionally used to make the lip by those without the skill set to do a proper door. :)
My clients can't wait to get rid of the damned things ... and I haven't had any one request them in longer than I can remember.
Of course, you're correct ... YMMV ;)
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Swingman wrote:

Very true except I like solid wood overlay doors and need an area for expansion/contraction.
"Solid" because I like the clean look; "overlay" because I can get cleaner by doing away with pulls by cutting a short cove in the top centers. YMMV
--

dadiOH
Bill wrote:

Yes, it is the norm.

Face frames are normally narrow, NP with expansion/contraction popping them loose from the case. One can always attach them mechanically too; heck, that is my norm...FF screwed to the case, no glue, screw holes plugged with face grain plugs cut from same wood as the FF.
--

dadiOH