tuyng oil/poly mix

What is proper mix of tung oil and poly to use? I am sealing a piece of MDF and this has been recommended...thanks..

Reply to
C Carruth

You could probably use 100% of one to 100% of the other or any ratio in between if all you are doing is sealing. Since poly will probably have a better long lasting seal than Tung Oil, you might want to slant the mix ratio toward the poly side.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

Poly (varnish) already is tung oil, or at least some approximation of it, resins, and a carrier (mineral spirits). You can mix in more oil and/or more thinner and make you own Danish oil or your own wiping varnish, depending on what you are looking for.

If all you want to do is seal MDF adding tung oil to the varnish isn't going to do much. Certainly not provide extra protection. Thin the varnish fifteen or twenty percent to make yourself a wiping varnish and just wipe it on or don't and brush it on and you'll have all the protection you can get from a varnish.. .

Reply to
Mike G