TurboCad vs. AutoCad

Somebody wrote to me this past week about the difference between AutoCad and TurboCad.

The difference is about $2400.00.

I learned CAD on TurboCad and still use it when I have to draw quickly.

The only reason that I use AutoCad or AD Inventor is because we use it at work and Autodesk is coin of the realm in a business setting.

I can still draw quicker in TurboCad for 2D stuff but have to confess that AD Inventor is faster for 3D stuff. Not $5000.00 worth but still faster.

If you want to learn 2D CAD for personal use, TurboCad is the way to go, for my money but, if you want to learn CAD with an eye towards a career in mind, AutoCad is the right choice because everyone uses it.

TurboCad has a better newsgroup community than AutoCad, in my opinion. I've never seen a better community forum environment than theirs.

If you have any more questions, ask CW.

He's been a TC champ for years, and is knowledgeable about the most current version, while I only know up to Pro V5.

Hope that I answered your question. Whoever you were.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

package and tried to load it, I discovered the serial number on the TC envelope wasn't accepted by the software. The envelope had a 10 digit serial number, and the program needed a 16 digit serial number and there were no other serial numbers in the documentation. I e-mailed Turbocad, and they never responded. I returned the package to Office Depot and the clerk said they had a lot of returns of this item. The next day I saw the package I'd bought was back on the shelf, containing the already opened software.

Reply to
JimR

A very good and almost a perfect clone to AutoCAD is IntelliCAD. I have seen IntelliCAD range in price from about $50 to $100. IMHO AutoCAD LT was much easier to learn than TurboCAD. I purchased my last copy of TurboCad about 18 years ago. I have been using AutoCAD for about 10 years and will probably switch to InetlliCAD when I upgrade again.

Thanks again CW.

Reply to
Leon

I can't comment on IntelliCAD - it sounds like a good value. But you can't determine anything about current versions of TurboCad based on the TurboCad of 18 years ago - they have nothing to do with each other. I use the current TurboCad for many projects, from my own woodworking to CNC machined precision camera parts. I find TurboCad easy and convenient.

Tim

Reply to
Ellestad

True

I use the current

Good. Have you used AutoCAD or any other CAD programs?

Reply to
Leon

I've used AutoCAD for just over 20 years including about two years of Mechanical Desktop and another year of Inventor. After that long on any program you can literally draw about as fast as you can think. All three of these products are IMHO well worth the money for even the most basic of buisness enviornments but at several thousand dollars there is no way I could justify purchasing it at home for my hobby generating sawdust. I believe even LT has gone out the price range of most. If anyone is seriously considering a personal AutoCAD purchase look into taking a class at a local community college. I think there is a pretty substantial student discount that would probably pay for the class and more.

Reply to
daryl1138

I first upgraded to LT about 10 years ago and the cost was $199 IIRC but that has gone up dramatically in the last couple of years. My son can get the student version of LT at his University for about $125, IIRC. As with any CAD program a good understanding of how to draw is a very helpful prerequisite.

Reply to
Leon

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Phil Wendt

Undoubtedly version 12 Deluxe. Look around the net for version 11. Version

12 has more bugs than an industrial size can of Raid could deal with. The company changed hands about the time of the 12 release and they didn't seem to care about making it usable. Version 11 will work for you.
Reply to
CW