TurboCad Pro

Page 2 of 2

... snip

On its way!

Wow!!
really cool. I rendered it in 3d and spun it around (S L O W in my PC, I need a faster processor!!), really neat!
Thanks a bunch! This will give me some idea how to do this by breaking yours into pieces.
-Stoutman
Ive got one of an end table I built a short time ago. 3D with 2D viewports. Want it?

You need a manual for that program. If you don't understand it's basic concepts and work-flow you will struggle forever and rarely achieve the desired results. Jumping into 3D without a solid understanding of it's 2D operations is a dead end.

I thought I could pick it up. In the past I have had no problems learning new software w/o a manual. I tought myself Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Frontpage etc. pretty easily. This one looks like I need a book or a tutorial or something.
I went to Barnes and Noble and they had one book on CAD (cad for dummies) and it sucked.
Can anyone recomend a book for AutoCad 11?

I assume the Autocad was just a slip of the fingers. For Turbocad, the two best learning resources I know are: Don Cheke's site: http://www.textualcreations.ca / Turbocad forum: http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/index.cfm?CFApp 0 Many of the tutorials on Don's website are for previous versions but they are close enough to be useful.

Premiere,

If you like Don's tutorials, be sure to send him a donation.. He's a great guy and has put an extraordinary amount of work into helping other people. It has only been fairly recently, and under the urging from a few of us, that he has asked anything at all in return.

dummies)
stoutman said:

The books published by Riders are generally considered the standard for AutoCAD training - the last time I looked. I have several of them. The learning curve is still pretty steep.
FWIW,
Greg G.

Yeah Cad is different. I am one of thoes that can operate a lot of software with out a manual also.
I tought myself Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere,

Well I agree a little here but you have left out one important thing here. You tought your self Frontpage. Sorta, you already knew how to read and spell. You need that basic working knowledge to set up a web page. ;~) Much like knowing the tricks in wood working, it really is much more than cutting boards, mechanical drawings require a basic knowledge also. Knowing how to draw and knowing what command to look for in a CAD program to perform a specific drawing task is half the battle.
This one looks like I need a book or a

I cannot really recommend a particular book as most books tell you how to get the program to do what you want it to do. While you think you know what you want to do, you may not. For example a draftsman drawing on paper knows how to cut measuring to a minimum and still be dead on accurate. There are tricks for drawing accurately to scale a 3rd view of an object with out using a scale when you already have 2 other views drawn. Knowing where to place the 2 other views and where to place the 3rd view is one of the tricks. There are countless short cuts that speed drawing and accuracy on paper. I would suggest like CW to take an introductory class to drafting in a local college. Not necessarily a CAD class but one where you draw with a pencil. I assure you that you will never regret it. Having had only 2 years of formal mechanical and architectural drafting some 30+ years ago I was able to easily learn many CAD programs including AutoCAD LT with out a book or instruction.

Leon,
Check out my first attempt at a table (working on it SEVERAL hours today) in ABPW.
I tapered the legs, but I could only taper from one side. I couldn't get the program to let me taper BOTH inside leg edges.
How do I do that?
Posted in ABPW
I'd be interested in seeing what woodworking drawing people are creating in TurboCAD. Is there a way to paste the links to these drawings or post them as gifs to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?
I purchased TurboCAD 10.2 Pro about two years ago. I am familiar with mechanical drawing (my summer jobs during college was as a draftsman) and I wanted to experiment with a CAD program. Long story made short, TurboCAD Pro is so feature rich and the documentation is so limited that I just confused myself. More recently I gave it another try and, by sticking to the plain vanilla 2D stuff, I am starting to get the hang of it.
I would be most interested in seeing how people use TurboCAD to develop their woodworking designs.

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 01:09:02 GMT, "Jim Giblin"

I'll post a few jpgs to abpw.