Tuning a rabbet rebate bullnose plane.

The blade on my new rabbet plane is slightly wider than the body, and I'm wondering if I should take it down to the exact width. This would let me use both sides of the plane without readjusting. Any downside to this? thx JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yep. It's wider deliberately to make sure it doesn't cut inside the vertical reference and make a sloped (narrowing) rabbet. If you've got a properly adjusted nicker, I suppose you could do without the overhang. I use two pieces of paper to set mine. Two forward of the iron, two behind, to support the body of the plane. Iron touches the table in between. Seems to be a good setting, and easily done.

Reply to
George