tung oil vs tung oil finish

Both HD and Lowe's only carry tung oil finish. I want to make a 50/50 mix of tung oil/poly as a wiping varnish - is tung oil finish the same thing?

If not, where can I get plain tung oil? The nearest woodworking stores are a LONG drive from my house.

Thanks..

Reply to
C Carruth

Mail order from Woodcraft would be one way to get some.

Reply to
Charles

Yeah, Woodcraft store sell them. They are damn expensive. I was there on the weekend, wondering whether to buy and try one my project. But there are many kinds/mixture of Tung oil. Can you explain how to use them? I believe David Mark use Tung oil on most of his woodworking shows.

Reply to
WD

Get Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing" and all will become clear.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I believe ace hardware stores carry tung oil. If a wiping varnish is your aim adding oil to varnish isn't the way to go about it. All you need to do is thin it down fifteen or twenty percent. Mixing one part oil, one part thinner, and one part varnish would give you a Danish oil whose attributes can be changed by varying the ratios a bit.

Reply to
Mike G

Not usually. At least Formbys, Minwax and "Ace Hardware" brand Tung Oil Finishes are a blend of goodies.

Reply to
js

I have read Bob's book, especially on Tung Oil. If I follow his advice I shouldn't use Tung Oil as a finish. Yet I have seen many woodworkers finish their most prized work in Tung Oil e.g. David Mark. Is Bob too biased?

Joe....

Reply to
Joe Zeh