Tung oil stain wont dry...how fix?

I am using a tung oil based stain that was custom mixed for mahogany color. I put it on red oak table.
I put several stain layers on to darken it and close to what mahogany would be....very dark. The lightly wiped successive stain layers are like translucent paint each one added more shading. The effect is very nice and what im looking for.
But the stain seems to stay tacky forever. I tented the project and put a heat lamp and kept it at around 80F for 2 days and it doesnt seem to make any difference. The finish is still tacky and soft.
I have scrap wood around that has thick layers of stain on it from mixing etc and it is still tacky as well after 3 weeks.
I guess this the norm for tung oil.
Do you think I can spray an urethane semi-gloss over it and be ok?
thanks for any tips.
trs80 wrote:

Was each coat completely dry before you put on the next coat? How old is your oil/stain?

I would definitely NOT spray anything else over your oil/stain if it's not dry. If you have the time, I'd put it aside for a few weeks to see if it dries more, and if not, you might need to start over. (see if mineral spirits takes it off, and if not, scrape/sand...) Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear - maybe someone else will have more encouraging advice. Good luck, Andy
RE: Subject
My guess is it won't dry properly.
Probably time for acetone, terry cloth rags, a lot of elbow grease and time.
Lew
trs80 wrote:

But stain ain't paint. With oil stain, one puts it on, lets it soak and then wipes it off vigorously. Then you let it dry and add your top coats of clear finish.
What you could have done is stain, let dry then topcoat with color *in* the top coat. That's a "toner" and each coat adds more color.
BTW, mahogany isn't "very dark"...it is generally a rather bright orange red. _______________

Only if you want an even bigger mess.
--

dadiOH
trs80 wrote:

I don't know the exact formulation of the stain you are using, but I'll tell you my experiences with 100% pure tung oil -- it takes forever for a coat to cure. I've waited in excess of two weeks for pure tung to cure on WRC. I've had better drying times with pure tung cut with paint thinner on ash, maybe one week or so.
Tung oil (if it isn't a pre-oxidized formulation) needs oxygen to cure properly, so you may want to provide some airflow.
Hope this helps.
- Daniel H
ok.. thanks. I put a fan on it and Ill give it a week since I cant do anything with it before then anyway. If not cured ill removed and try another approach to get the dark stain color I need. thanks