Tung Oil + Poly

I found a sideboard that was messed up by some minwax "Tung Oil" the lady claims her husband tried to refinish it. My question is if I lightly sand 220+ then add a couple layers of poly will the oil still bleed or can I get a good finish with out heavy sanding.
Thanks
If it is just a tung oil finish why not wash it down several times, a section at a time with paint reducer, dry it off with rag it should remove most or all.The wood drys really quick in open air 1-2 hrs rub with 000 steel wool or 180-220 fine grit and you are ready for stain or finish again

MinWax Tung oil is really a simple wiping varnish....I don't think there's any real tung oil in it. I actually like using the stuff as it's so forgivable in the event of a mistake. I'm not sure what you mean by "messed up", but before you get too drastic, I'd try scuffing it (4 ought steel wool) and waxing it (Minwax or Johnsons) to see if you may be able to save yourself a whole lot of work. If you're bent on using poly over top, you should be fine provided the Minwax Tung Oil has set for several days and polymerized. There's nothing in the underlying product that will bleed through.
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

I could guess at a couple of solutions but why don't you save us both a mess of time by defining messed up.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net