Tung oil on plywood

We are using Tung oil to finish a cabinet made using beech plywood. It is the type that has a very thin layer of wood followed with a layer of MDF to make it smooth. It looks great for a surface, but it seems like the is next to nothing for penetration of the finish. We hve used tung oil in the past and been very happy with it but that was on the "old style" plywood. I would like to know what others have done with this type of plywood.

Al

Reply to
Al Holstein

...sounds like you've got cabinet-grade ply. Let 'er rip. You should be able to stain and finish with any standard product...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

...oops, didn't process the "MDF" part...but the "ply" should still be finishable with standard products, think veneer...just watch the sanding, be careful!

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

There are veneer core and mdf core types of sheet goods. The most common is of course veneer core. The mdf core has some advantages in flatness but has fallen a little bit out of fashion since it was first making headway in cabinet shops. You can finish it exactly the same as veneer core. Both sytles nowadays have a super thin face sheet but will stain and finish the same.

Keep > We are using Tung oil to finish a cabinet made using beech plywood.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com