tung oil on masonite?

Hi everyone,
I'm finishing up my budget-minded, no frills workbench (an exact copy of Sam Allen's joiner's bench), and am trying to decide how/if to finish the bench surface.
The base is made of construction lumber (pine 4x4's and 2x4's), and the top is a laminated MDF surface, covered with masonite. I'm wondering if I should use oil or not on the masonite surface. I'm mainly aiming to make it resistance to adhesives and moisture. I know I could wax it, but I was thinking oil might work better. So, does this make any sense at all, or will it be a waste of effort?
Thanks for your input,
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:56:30 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

Buy oil-tempered masonite ("outdoro grade"). Much better doing it hot at the factory, rather than cold on a cut piece.
Personally I just wax things like that.