tung oil on masonite?

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing up my budget-minded, no frills workbench (an exact copy of Sam Allen's joiner's bench), and am trying to decide how/if to finish the bench surface.

The base is made of construction lumber (pine 4x4's and 2x4's), and the top is a laminated MDF surface, covered with masonite. I'm wondering if I should use oil or not on the masonite surface. I'm mainly aiming to make it resistance to adhesives and moisture. I know I could wax it, but I was thinking oil might work better. So, does this make any sense at all, or will it be a waste of effort?

Thanks for your input,

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I'm thinking that the tempered hardboard will soak up oil like a sponge, and would take many coats to get close to sealing the surface. Glue will continue to stick until you achieved something close to a non-porous surface. Maybe some oil, mostly for looks, and then wax for the non-stick.

If'n it was me (it's not), and if I wanted to seal it (I wouldn't), I think I would try waterbase poly. On some scrap first of course. I can confirm that glue pops off of poly nicely. I think you will like the look too.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Buy oil-tempered masonite ("outdoro grade"). Much better doing it hot at the factory, rather than cold on a cut piece.

Personally I just wax things like that.

Andy Dingley