tung oil & oak

I just put a first coat of tung oil on some oak ply and moulding last night. Used 50:50 mineral spirits and Minwax Tung Oil for the first coat.

When I rub the oil off, the surface seems catchy. As if some of the fibres are raise up. What's the best way to deal with that and get the surface smooth again? Is it ok to sand after a coat of tung oil has been applied? If so, how do I get the dust out of the pores?

Thanks in advance, Caleb

Reply to
calebsg

Did you sand the surface to begin with? If no, you should have. And yes you sand that surface again.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, to 320 grit. Maybe I should have gone higher? Will sand again. Thanks.

Reply to
calebsg

Actually I seldom go over 180 grit.

Reply to