Tung Oil as a Concrete Finish?

I've used boiled linseed oil on a concrete floor...pretty spendy, really, but it was a great looking floor for at least 20 years.

If I rememeber correctly, it was three coats...first was 2/3 solvent 1/3 BLO and POUR it on and keep it wet for close to a day...I think we went with about 18 hours. Let it dry for a few days.

Second coat was 1/3 solvent and 2/3 BLO and applied the same way...drying takes a little longer with this coat.

Last coat is straight BLO...keep it wet for a couple hours, squeegee off the excess, then let cure for close to a week.

Labor intensive as hell and not cheap, but DAMN, it makes for a wonderful looking floor.

But no, I'll never do it again. twice was enough

Reply to
The Davenport's

We are planning a building that will be a short-term residence and my long-term workshop. I have been looking at several concrete floor finishes including epoxy and others.

Our son recently mentioned one I would have never thought of. He is a construction supervisor building a large shipping depot in Northwest Arkansas. It is a 70,000 square foot building with 147 overhead doors, lots of automated conveyer equipment and a maintenance area. They finished all of the concrete floors with a 30% Pure Tung Oil and 70% Kerosene mixture. Two coats in the low traffic areas and three in the maintenance areas. He said it provides a slightly greenish smooth surface.

I have been Googling this subject with mixed results. Does anyone have first hand experience with using this process on a home shop floor.

RonB

Reply to
RonB