Tung Oil Again!

I have read all archives regarding Tung Oil in this NG since January this year from kind, helpful and experienced users.
I have another question, let say I need to finished FAST some small walnuts and oaks part. This is what I planned to do: I will apply the parts with Tung oil mixtures (50% Tung oil 50% paint thinner) and wipe all excess oil. It should dry in an hour, sand lightly with #0000 steel wool. Apply first coats of Polyurethane, wait for 24 hrs sand it again before applying another coat of polyurethane and so on until I get the finishes I need.
My question, can I speed up the process if I apply a heat gun (carefully) on the parts to increase the temperature? What would you do to speed up the process rather than waiting 24 hrs according to instruction from Woodcraft's 100% pure Tung oil? I may apply three polyurethane coats or more that depend on the finished.
My garage temp for this time of the year is about 30 degrees to 50 degree and humidity below 50%. I could do leave the parts in the house, temps from 68 to 70 degrees and humidity 1/2 setting. Your advice most appreciated.
Thank you everyone
If you're using oil-based poly, disregard the first step with the tung. The oil in them will get help polymerizing from the resins and driers.

Screw 'em. 23 hours is plenty.

Garage is way to cold for any oil finish that I'm aware of. This time of year I brink my projects into the house and wait overnight to apply finish. Ed
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:30:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomanland.com (BlueDude) wrote:

Unless someone here has got a really good trick, I'd suggest just using something else. Tung Oil takes forever and a day to dry, even in warm weather. Try one of the "natural" stains, they dry really quickly, and look almost as good, IMO.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
There's an additive you can use called "Japan Drier." Adding a small amount of these metalic salts will help your tung oil to cure faster.
A couple of tips - a little bit goes a long way. I'll use a capfull added to a quart of finish (pure oil, oil and thinner mixed, or with or without stain).
Don't mix more than you'll need, and don't re-mix any unused stuff with your stockpile of finish.
One last thought ... you can also apply a spit coat of shellac over the uncured tung oil. This will seal the oil (and smell) until it cures, and makes a decent bond with any varnish (poly or otherwise) or top coat.
Here's another alternative... if you're going to top coat with poly anyway, then why not use a Sam Maloof finish and try a 50/50 mix of tung oil and oil-based poly varnish? Apply it as you would the tung oil ... first coat thinned 50% with thinner ... just wipe it on (and wipe the excess off). Repeat in 24 hours, and repeat THAT as necessary. After about 3 to 5 coats, you'll start to building a finish. You can then apply your poly straight until you build the finish you're looking for.
best regards, -Michael
BlueDude wrote:

Oil base and provides a quick and very good finish. Check this link for further information. http://www.waterlox.com/product.cfm?productid=5
George
One thing that will work is to use a large cardboard box and cut a round hole in it and stick a "hair dryer" in it and dry it this way. You would have to check it to make sure it doesn't get too hot and burn anything.... Could use it in or out of the house. I have used this method and it works pretty well.... just be careful and don't use a heat gun but use a cheap hair dryer. -Just an Idea.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:19:12 -0700, buck wrote:

Don't try it with shellac, though. You get little hard bubbles all over your finish. damhikt
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com