Tune up of a Band Saw

Got a Craftsman 10" bandsaw from my dad. Had to replace the rubber tires on the wheels and put a new blade on it. It seems to be out of balance with a lot of vibration since the "retread".

Any suggestions on how to balance the wheels and get this saw in top shape?

Reply to
Mapdude

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:58:51 -0600, TomL wrote (in message ):

David Marks in one of the latest "Wood Works" shows does a full tuneup on his bandsaw. To balance, he uses heavy wire and wraps it around the wheel spoke until the wheel balances. He also makes a small jig with sand paper to true up the ties. Worth a watch when it re-runs. It's when he does his "shop tour"

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I had a Craftsman 12" years ago and I had to balance the wheels, too (bought it new). I, too, used 12 ga house wire. The bottom wheel was pretty easy, because I could use the motor to turn it to test my work. The top wheel has to be spun by hand, and won't show the minor vibration like the motor driven one will.

You will infer from this discussion that you remove the blade to balance the wheels.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod