TS surface rust... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
I have put three coats of craftsman paste wax on my Delta table saw and still rust is forming on the surface. I have a few questions... How do I clean all the rust off???? Do I need a tool or can I use a rag and solution?
Next what can I use to protect my table saws machined surfaces that works well and is EASY to apply and LASTS????? Three applications of paste wax is a pain in the arse and I have had crap for results.
Any help is much appreciated. I would rather pay $25 for a 30 minute answer than $3 for a good paste wax that takes hours and leaves me with rust!!!
Frustrates TS owner, Dan
: I have put three coats of craftsman paste wax on my Delta table saw : and still rust is forming on the surface. I have a few questions... : How do I clean all the rust off???? Do I need a tool or can I use a : rag and solution? : : Next what can I use to protect my table saws machined surfaces that : works well and is EASY to apply and LASTS????? Three applications of : paste wax is a pain in the arse and I have had crap for results. : : Any help is much appreciated. I would rather pay $25 for a 30 minute : answer than $3 for a good paste wax that takes hours and leaves me : with rust!!! : : Frustrates TS owner, : Dan
I use green scotchbrite and wd-40 to clean the metal. By hand or put the pad on an orbital sander. I use Bostik topcote afterwards.
Bluetobb spaketh...

Are you cleaning the rust off [completely] before applying the paste wax?

This is super secret knowledge passed down from Egyptians: http://tinyurl.com/k6sc
--
McQualude

Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

for the benefit of the archives, which no one seems to use, sometimes including myself
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=how+to+remove+rust+from+a+table+saw&ei=UTF-8&fr=ieas&vm=i&n0&fl=1&vl=lang_en&x=wrt&all=0
Forget about paste wax. I have my shop in a very harsh environment. It's in a barn that gets heated with a barrel stove while I'm working. In late winter and spring, and sometimes in fall, once in a while in summer conditions are such that any heavy metal gets condensation all over it. I have no problem with rust. When I finish for the day I clean the sawdust & shavings off the machines with a shop brush and/or a fireplace bellows and then spray a light coat of WD40 on the machined surfaces. Next time I want to use the machine I take the rag that sits by the machine and wipe all the WD40 off. I've been doing this for 20+ years and the table saw still looks new. I do the same for my bandsaw, jointer, drill press, and both lathes. Also, I've never had a problem with the wood I am milling being stained by the WD40, whether it's pine or rosewood. The WD40 comes up completely when I wipe it off. When the rag gets saturated (a long time) I save it to wipe down my hand tools and get a clean one for that machine.
The point the barn owner left out is that he constantly uses his machines. Lucky guy forgot that. If you leave WD-40 for an extended period, it will evaporate and allow rust to form. But for short term use (couple of weeks), I use it too. I had a barn too and really miss is. Had a charm all it's own.
On 16 Aug 2003 05:09:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Larry) wrote:

In a previous post, someone said to put "Liquid Wrench" on the surface, then use a Scotch Brite pad (000 grit), and rub the rust off. I had spots on my jointer and TS that I tried this on. I used the 3in1 penetrating oil that Lowes carries, and one of their scratch pads. It worked great.
After, I wiped the surface down with a rag that I had previously used to apply WD 40 to some hand tools. I wiped the surfaces again with a dry clean rag, then applied Johnson's Paste Wax. It's held up great so far -
Nick B

WD40 and steel wool to remove the rust and TopCote to protect the finish. This product is specifically made for the purpose of protecting TS tops and making the slicker for less friction.

I live on the coast in a subtropical area where rust is a never ending problem and the best thing I have found if the rust is more than just on the surface is Ospho and a Scotch Brite pad. Do NOT let the Oshpo dry. I use Top Cote to preserve the surface and it isn't perfect but it's better than whatever is second.

We would if someone would tell us what the hell it is.
Ed (who is in the 98% group)_
http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm

Ospho is a phosphoric acid based material which you paint onto metal pieces and let dry. Brush it off with a wire brush, prime, paint and you have a paint job that will last.
I just found this on Google: " I don't know the details of the composition or chemistry, but Ospho is a phosphoric acid based liquid and the label says it "is a balanced formula of phosphoric, dichromate, wetting agents and extenders". The manufacturer is listed as Skybryte Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
A typical use might be as a metal-etching primer in which the item is dipped in the room-temperature liquid, or the liquid is brushed on, is allowed to act for a short period of time (15 minutes), and then the item is wiped and/or air-blown dry."

Lawrence Ramsey responds:

Sounds much like Naval Jelly without the water rinse.
Charlie Self
"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." Dan Quayle
Hi Charlie! Yes, it does sound almost exactly like naval jelly, doesn't it? I thought that also as I was typing it. there is also a good looking product by a company called Bull-Frog that looks mighty good.
http://www.bull-frog.com/blocker.html
How's that job hunting going?
On 17 Aug 2003 16:51:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote:

Lawrence Ramsey asks:

Lots going out. Nothing coming in.
Thought I had a shot at a job in Saudi Arabia, but even that fell through. I get the feeling I wouldn't last long enough to fulfil a 5 year contract after the guy asked me for my birthdate (that's only illegal in the States, and the phone interviewer was in London).
Charlie Self
"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." Dan Quayle
Since they can no longer ask your age, some have taken to asking you when you graduated high school.

CW writes:

That's illegal, too.
The only dated items on my resume are for my college graduation and for the dates my books were published. They tell a tale of age, of course, but some things have to be allowed. Besides, I graduated from college late...4 years in the USMC will do that, as will other delays.
Charlie Self
"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." Dan Quayle
snipped-for-privacy@grandecom.net (WillaimC) wrote in message

Sorry-It never occured to me that everyone isn't familiar with Ospho because it's such a staple here. I think it's mostly phosphoric acid and if allowed to to dry will form a black coating on the metal and neutralize the rust allowing it to be painted. Again-do NOT let it dry on your tools because it's very hard to get off. Yahoo has lots of hits on Ospho and where to get it. It's so good it should be one of the basic food groups.
WillaimC wrote:

It *is* one of the basic food groups. Ospho sounds like Coke/Pepsi/Dr. Pepper to me. :)
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:04:42 -0400, Silvan

DO let us know what it tastes like, won't you?
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design