TS splitter help, please

I bought a used DeWalt DW746 TS about a year and a half ago and I have been fixing the various problems as I find them. The thing was dropped while loading it on a truck, so it was pretty bent up. I've replaced the bent sheet metal pieces and added a Biesemeyer commercial fence to replace the beyond help original fence. Lately I've been concentrating on tuning it up a bit more. The saw came with no arbor wrenches, miter gauge, splitter, blade guard, and only one hand crank. I read a tip in a magazine (FWW?) that suggested to make your own splitter with steel bar stock, which I have tried. The problem I have with that is that the splitter and the blade are not in the same plane. They are not even in parallel planes. There is an adjustment left and right for the splitter, but I see no adjustment for the angle. As I have no manual to reference, I am at a bit of a loss. I can deal without the guard, but I'd like to have a splitter there for obvious reasons. Anyone have this saw and could shed some light? Or perhaps a description of how the adjustment for the splitter works on your saw would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

Or perhaps a

You might like to check out the MJ splitter from MicroJig. Admittedly, it can only be used for 90 degree cuts, but something you might be interested in nonetheless, simply because it can be used on any saw that can use a zero-clearance insert. I've written a review of it here that should shed some light on the item.

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

Woodcrafter

Charlie: go to the dewalt website here:

is a service site, and they say they have parts diagrams online; at least you can see how the parts fit together, etc. I did not enter the site, but they may even have a product manual for download. An email to them might produce a soft copy of a manual by return email. good luck.

Mutt

Reply to
Mutt

I did find the manual on dewaltservicenet last night. I had been looking in the wrong place. Apparently you must use DW746X as the model number. DW746 works, but gives an abbreviated list of technical publications. At any rate, the manual basically confirmed what I already thought to be true; there is no adjustment for the angle of the splitter.

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

I have a DW746, and as I recall there are two bolts used for aligning the splitter, with a nut on either side of the splitter for each bolt. Adjusting each one differently adjusts the angle.

I had to go through this process to align the thing in the first place, as it was not parallel to the blade. It is now.

Am I missing something in your question?

Reply to
GigaNews

I have one of the little beasts and I go out of my way to put it back on whenever I can.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W

We are talking about different planes. I guess I didn't make that very clear. The splitter tilts to the right a couple of degrees, in the same sense that the blade bevels. If it were an airplane, it would be the roll axis.

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

That IS a problem.

Your best bet is probably to get a new one from the DeWalt serviceNet site at

your saw was new when you bought it, even though it was dropped, you might try calling 1-888-4dewalt and simply asking for a new one. You might be surprised - I have had them replace defective parts before with stunningly few questions asked. It has made me a fan of DeWalt.

Regarding the fence, how easy was it to install the Beis fence on the saw? I agree that the stock fence is hopeless and am considering either a Beisemeyer or Unifence.

Bill Cook _/)_

Reply to
GigaNews

I have this saw and I think (believe it or not) the manual describes correcting this tilt by simply bending the splitter.

Charles Lerner

Reply to
Charles Lerner

The Biesemeyer install wasn't too bad. I had to drill a couple of holes in the rail due to intereference from casting ribs, etc. I think if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought the Shop Fox Classic. You get a blank rail, so you can drill the holes wherever you want to. Plus they include the extension table legs as well. And, if I'm not mistaken, the Biesemeyer fence bar would work on the Shop Fox rails and would still probably be cheaper than buying the whole Biesemeyer kit and table legs. I think it cost me a little north of $400 for everything. Shop Fox is only like $260 plus shipping (including legs) and the Biesemeyer fence can be had for under $150 from the Biesemeyer close-out page. Good luck with it, whichever you choose. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz