TS modifications

I'm considering building a cabinet for my contractor saw and router similar to this:

biggest concern would be finding stable casters. The casters on my roll around tool chest easily hold hundreds of pounds and the brakes lock securely, but there is no way to stop the two swivel casters from turning.

Any experiences here building one of these saw cabinets? What worked and what didn't?

Reply to
RayV

If you take a look at your tool chest again, I am pretty sure you will see that two are fixed and two are swivel with brakes.

This does a pretty good job of keeping things from moving. How well the design will work on a TS is another question. My fear is that you might end up taking them off after they start moving with something heavy on the table, or ripping a long board.

Take notice on how the commercial ones are made. All with retractable wheels. Might be something to copy.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

If you put the swivel casters at the opposite end of the saw you may not have any problem at all. My 3 caster mobile unit under my Jet cabinet saw has a single swivel caster under the table extension end and 2 fixed casters at the front and back of the saw cabinet. I Never have to lock the casters to keep it from moving when sawing.

Reply to
Leon

I know that Bench Dog router tables have casters and screw down legs/feet so you lift the table off of the casters with the feet when you are going to use it.

It is a bit of a pain if you need move it often but provides a pretty solid base otherwise.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I bought locking swivel casters from Woodcraft. The lock prevents swivellin and rolling. They are rated at 300 pounds each. My cabinet has 6 casters which surely are enough for any table saw.. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Ray :

I would recomend a Delta mobile base kit. Build it to your size. It drops the weight down to the floor and works very well. I have them on my workbenches here at the school.

Mike

Reply to
aswr

I built a cabinet that fits under my contractors saw and is the size of the saw table including extensions, with an extended portion under the motor. I put 6 swivel casters under it. The cabinet contains a planer, a scroll saw, a couple of grinders, a couple of routers, a sabre saw, a power saw, and probably a few things I've forgotten.

Lots of weight, no brakes, the cabinet never moves. In fact, it's pretty hard to push around :-).

Reply to
lgb

You should never have said that! Somebody will now convert the thread to a discussion of patents.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Sorry. I will go back to my corner.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You must be in the Idaho panhandle...

Enjoying my diesel, I mean ice water daily..

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Ray...

Simplest solution would be to buy WoodCraft's Universal Mobile Base Kit and build your under-saw cabinet with a 3/4" bottom. Bolt the extra HD mobile base corners into place and you'd have a nice setup. Sets down on adjustable steel legs, lifts on two fixed and two swivel casters. I'm using this setup on my Unisaw which weighs in over 420 pounds IIRC, and it moves, levels, and locks like a charm.

Mike

Reply to
CaptMike

I built a modified version of Popular WW's Little Shop:

put 4 of the swivel casters from Woodcraft on the thing, have it loaded down with various power tools in the storage space, and can still roll it with one finger in my gara...shop. I started off locking all 4 wheels, but now I usually lock only 2 on one of the long sides, usually the front because that's where I'm standing at the time. My floor is pretty level, so those two wheels are all it takes unless it is something heavy or really bulky like a sheet of ply.

I like these casters a lot. I will eventually replace all my others with these, and do away with all my fixed casters. I find it much easier to shove the TS diagonally to get it out of the way, rather than parking it as you would with fixed casters. It's a little thing, I admit, but very handy. Kind of like a remote for the dust collector. I don't need it, but I really appreciate having it.

Reply to
Roy

Second the motion.

I put my contractors saw on a 2'x4' base with lots of drawers with lots of iron in them on 6 3" diameter swivel castors rubber tired. I planned to make some wedges to drive under the bottom to hold it in place. Never needed them.

It took a lot of whole body english to move that beast from one end of the shop to the other last night.

Did the same for my workbench, weighs about 300 pounds. It doesn't move when I plane tree pieces to put on my lathe.

Walt C

Reply to
Walt Cheever