TS Lubrication

Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to clean out the old sawdust?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

TFE based lubes, oils and sawdust do mix very well to a lovely paste. Vacum, then don dust mask, and blast away with compressed air (2 20 inch fans blowing out the garage doors).

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Boeshield T9 works real well for me, any lubricant that doesn't dry or contains silicone; air compressor.

Reply to
Swingman

I blow out and then blast with Brake Cleaner from an aerosol can. Follow that with BoeShield T9.

Reply to
Leon

I suppose that you're speaking of how to clean the large, threaded rods. I used a couple of brushes to know off the grease/ sawdust combo and then, dipped a narrow brush in some mineral spirits to further clean off the remaining grease, drying with a rag. To lubricate I used powdered graphite and rand the assembly through its range of motion.

Reply to
C & E

I just use a block of paraffin wax (canning wax) and rub along the lead screws. It does the job and does not show much love for sawdust. Boeshield seems too light bodied for lubricating a lead screw. It would be good to prevent rust and might be good combined with wax.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

A formula I've been using for a number of years now is:

Johnson's or any paste wax similar to it Graphite powder - small tube from auto store used for lubing locks. Couple of drops of mineral spirits Baby jar

Fill baby jar about 3/4 full of paste wax, add all the powdered graphite - it's probably about a 1/2 teaspoon in the tube. Add a few drops of mineral spirits and start mixing (screwdriver works well) until the wax and graphite are thoroughly blended and you have a completely black mix. Add only a drop or two of mineral spirits at a time as needed so you can mix the wax and graphite. If you get to much, don't worry, just set the jar aside with the top off for a few hours and the mineral spirits will evaporate off. You want the consistency of soft butter for applying it.

Clean the gears - others gave a lot of good ideas and then use a small, stiff brush like an acid brush, to apply the wax combo. Sawdust does not stick to the combination and although wax itself acts as a lubricant, in this case it's the carrier for the graphite. The small jar will last a long, long time. If it dries to much - add a drop of mineral spirits and stir in.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I really like "White Lightning", a wax based chain lube available in bicycle shops. WL dries to a non-sticky waxy film that flakes off as you use it.

Great stuff!

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

BoeShield T9 _is_ combined with wax ... that's one of the reasons it works well for this application.

Reply to
Swingman

BobS Wrote: >A formula I've been using for a number of years now is: >

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great. I don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread like a virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but its really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out there know what the composition of this stuff is?

Reply to
Sailaway

Looks like it's a trade secret

don't breathe it or use instead of visine. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Fish tape lube w/ graphite

contains wax, is extra slippery, does not attract dust, long lasting, inexpensive and abundant

Reply to
hylourgos

secret? Molybdenum disulfide (a variation on lithium grease?), and silica.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I was referring to Section 2, which lists the ingredients. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Sorry, I looked up some other product. It's a powder, but it's not Bel-Ray. I had no idea you could hide your components from an MSDS page. All it says is metallic oxides, but there are six (?IIRC) other secret spices even if one is Molybdenum disulfide.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

You had a gallon? Molylube is probably just a brand name, but It is probably just molybdenum disulfide.

Molybdenum disulfide is usually ground much finer than graphite and is a way superior lubricant. Used as a dry lubricant in lots of applications from sliding joints to bullets. Sometimes in an alcohol or other base that evaporates.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I just looked at the can and found the part #: Molylube 16. It is a powder, not a grease like in the above msds. The grease form may be a variation on the one I have, and the petroleum content of the grease may account for the off gasses and fire hazard warnings. It looks to be a fairly old can, so maybe they aren't using the #16 designation anymore since it isn't listed on their web site. Since I don't know what's in it I use a respirator when I am working with it.

Reply to
Sailaway

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great. I

don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread like a

virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but its really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out there know what the composition of this stuff is?

Molybdenum Disulfide. Used to lubricate gun mechanisms without gumming them up. Good stuff, and expensive. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Johnson's paste wax in the yellow can is cheap and easy to apply with a small paintbrush. Sawdust is not attracted to it as to oil

Reply to
RM MS