TS Final Desicion

Everyone has been very helpful as always. I love this group because you get info from people who use the tools you are looking at.
I've narrowed it down to 3 saws:
Delta 36-682XL (Biesmeyer 52" Commerical Fence, 1.5 HP, Cast Iron Wing) $953.98
Delta 36-480(Biesmeyer 52" Home Shop Fence, 2 HP, Stamped Steel Wing) $1,006.98
General 50-185L-M1 (Biesmeyer 52" Clone Fence, 2 HP, Cast Iron Wing) $729 + Shipping???
Right now I'm waiting to hear on the shipping for the General. That will way heavily on my decision.
Anyone have anything additional to add?
Chuck
Forgot to mention. I was pleasantly surprised that my local Woodcraft beat 1 of the best internet prices I could find by $50, and was only beaten by $50 from another. For $50 I'd much rather give my business to the local guy. This was in response to an earlier email I posted regarding retail vs. internet sales.
Thank again.
Chuck
Woodchuck34 wrote:

Personally I'd go w/ the cast iron wing over the stamped steel, but is shame to lose the horsepower...

I've always been tempted by "the General" but haven't ever had the opportunity to actually have hands-on so haven't ever bit...I know there are those who swear by them.

If you are going to run it on 220, the 2 HP is good. if you are going to run it on 120, you only get the 1.5 hp. I'd consder the 479 over the 480 to get the better fence. You can upgrade to a cast wing later.

I had only a very brief look at this saw. While the saw itself was very impressive, the clone fence was not. IMO, it was a cheap imitation. Compared to the low end fences on cheaper models from Delta, Craftsman, etc, it was a good fence. Compared to a dommercial Beis, it was just not as good. Still a good value for the money.

Flip a coin? I think any of these saws is a good choice. Comes down to person preference.
My perspnal choice of the is the General 50-185. It's a good buy for the money and an excellent contractor's saw.

Is that a price from a US or CA dealer? I found my 350 at a CA dealer that wasn't that much more to ship and the low CA dollar at the time made it an outstanding deal.

dealer that

it an

That price was from the US. I waited, but finally decide to hear from the company, but finally decided just to order the 36-682XL from the local Woodcraft. The price would be real close after shipping and getting the commercial Biesmeyer fence kind of sealed the deal. I'm pretty sure the 1.5 HP will still be enough for me. Most of my cuts are on 4/4 stock, but I ocasionally was riping 9/4 and that was on my 36-600.
Thanks for all the input.
Chuck

I'm looking at this saw myself right now. I'm lucky enough to have a dealer not too far away who has it for $699. I don't know if you've seen it in person or not but it looks like quite a bit of saw for the money.
Good luck with whatever you chose!
Bob B.