TS fence 30" vs 50"

Page 2 of 2
Kevin wrote:

The back rail never touches the fence. It is used to hold the table and table extensions in line. 2.5" angle would have to be drilled so that the top edge of the "L" didn't extend above the table. There's not much room between the rear 1.5" angle and the blade guard/splitter support arm. It seems it might be a tight squeeze to clear the support for the blade guard/splitter with the blade tilted to 45 degrees as the support arm swings up slightly as the blade if tilted.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'm going to start another thread asking about making this myself. I'm a bit concerned about getting the accuracy.

Given that you can buy them already with a nice powder coating on them, why would you want to ???
You could visit the Biesemeyer site at one time and check out factory "blems" but apparently "Black & Darker" has removed that "feature".
Being "alert" would be better... Lowe's has been selling 30" Biesemeyer fences for under $100 for the last few months......
I got one for $62...(beep-beep)
Kevin wrote:

Metal shop said tubing is 'hot rolled' not cold rolled.. but it should be pretty good.

I"m assuming the fence itself will work just fine.. so I just need the rails.. 3 parts.. front , back, and guide

and lay it aside.
Kevin wrote:

Depends on what I'm building. Sometimes hardly ever, other times, every other cut. If you use a decent amount of sheet goods, you'll use it often.
Remember, with precautions, the fence also makes a great stop for crosscutting.
For example, say I'm dadoing a bunch of identical 7' shelf sides. I set the fence, drop the stock into the sled and make all the cuts with the end butted against the fence. If 52" is too short, I work from the other end. For through crosscuts, I add a block to the fence to prevent pinching the stock between the blade and fence.
If you're not using more than 30", the rest of the table can also be handy for holding stacks of parts as you machine them.
Kevin wrote:

Since I don't have long rails, never.
For me, the only possible use of the longer rails would be ripping off less than 18" (the offcut) from a 4x8 sheet.
IMO, more important than rail length in ripping sheet goods, is fore and aft support of the sheet. Let's face it: ripping a 4x8 sheet on a table saw is a PITA...the sheet is heavy and awkward and the fence doesn't extend far enough forward. Those deficiencies can be mitigated but you are then devoting a HUGE area to the table saw.
Best solution is an honest to gawd panel saw...one of those jobbies where you can stand a sheet vertically, position the saw carriage, push a button and the cushioned carriage arms clamp the work in place, saw comes down and cuts, saw returns to top when finished. I covet one of those, will never have it though <sigh>.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Ditto. But measuring to the other side of the blade on sheet goods has become such second nature that I don't even worry about it. That long "horse" on the left supports the longer piece almost as well as SWMBO. Well, better, but don't tell her. Has some of that UHMW plastic up top. Now if only I could get better access to the on/off switch. SWMBO says it's my gut growing larger, but I think they're making the panels wider.
That, and I was obliged, under pressure, to sell my pickup in favor of a grandchild-carrying vehicle with a back seat last year. Now I take my big aluminum fence, my cutting plan, and my 18V Bosch circular and/or jig saws with me to the home center. I cut there and stack on the roof rack. Hate to pull the trailer for just a sheet or two.
dadiOH wrote:

If you've got the space for one, and don't insist on it being fully automatic, there are plans available for several shop-made versions.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Thanks but I don't have the space and even if I did I'd settle for nothing less than the automatic one. They are a joy especially if someone else schleps the sheet to the saw :)
--

dadiOH

Never because my fence only goes to 30", actually a little less. I would rather have it than not so if you have an option get the 50"