TS fence 30" vs 50"

Page 1 of 2
how often do you use your TS fence > 30"?

Typically I would say every 4th cut on average.

To add a bit, I can easily square up glued up panels with the extra capacity. Almost every time I cut up a sheet of plywood I go beyond 30". When I only had 30" capacity I can easily recall almost every furniture project requiring me to make a "less than desirable cut" because of the limitations.
If room is a concern, remember it only adds 20", less than 2 feet, to the length of your saw.
"Leon" wrote in message

No kidding .... especially for cabinets and furniture casework.
Almost all built-in cabinets are over 30" tall/wide, and much of the casework on sideboards, tall chests, and even tables can exceed 50".
Actually, wish I had 96" fence capacity ... 52" is too often not enough.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Theoretically possible, as Shop is 18' x 18', and where there's a will ...
And who says you have to move around inside a shop anyhow?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Maybe twice in 7 years. And that's just a guess since I don't specifically recall ever using it except to get the fence out of the way of a crosscut. Don't even do that anymore since I got a good SCMS workstation to handle the crosscutting. Would I rather have the extra length than not have it? Yes, even when my shop was much smaller than it is now.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
yeah.. found a saw with 30" capacity..
so i'm off pricing rails and guide for 50"..

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:12:06 -0700, "Kevin"

Depending on the brand of fence you may be able to cheat a little. With the 30" Bies you can move the fence over one set of bolt holes and add about 8" or 9" to it's cutting capacity right of the blade. Of course this does cut down on cutting capacity to the left of the blade. You also need to replace the scale which is easily done.
Oh, and to answer your question...the first time you need to cut anything that's 1" longer than the rails you have (no matter which rails you have) you'll wish you had longer ones. :-)
Mike O.
In my own present workshop never, due to having i) having a 30 inch fence and ii) not having any room to the right due to location of other tools.
For items < about 16 inch depth I can cut on my radial arm saw. Above this depth I either have to move several tools, make temporary supports, or elect to move outside and arrange temporary supports and use my circular saw with a 4ft or 8ft straight edge. This works well, but takes far too long to setup.
I do the latter a few times a year. So far I am able to hold off on such tasks to be outside winter conditions.
If space were not a constraint, I would much prefer to have a 50inch fence even though my use is not frequent. I value speed of setup and cutting with the table saw.
I cannot use one just yet since I would have to get rid of some other tools which are used frequently, e.g. bandsaw, with my present constraints which are due to other non-tool objects which need to share the same "workshop" space.
I gave up on cars being in my workshop a long time ago, but I do not have alternate locations for my John Deere tractor, attachments, wood storage, etc.
Dave Paine.

I only have a 30" fence and there are times I wish I had, or needed a 50" one, so if you have the space, go for the 50".
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski

Can't since I have a 30" and not enough room for the larger one.
In the 6 or so years I've had it, maybe a half dozen times I really wished I had the 50 but I'm able to work around any other time.
I don't work with a lot of sheet goods though. If I did, the 50" would be a must.

Hello Kevin, If cost is the only factor it is well worth getting the longer rails. I have been using my set up with a sled to cut 42 rails for a hutch base and 48 inch boards for the upper section. Even if you only use yours 5 % of the time you will appreciate the ease with which you can make those wider cuts. Marc
it's a nice 10 year old Jet cabinet saw.. I'm asking Jet if I can get the 50" rails and guide and who much..
my guess close to $250.
anybody need 30" rails and guide for 1/2 that?
Kevin wrote:

The rails are just standard steel stock, 1.5" angle iron and 2" x 3" tubing. I was able to pick up what was needed for about $35.00 at a steel supplier from their cut-off/scrap pile.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Kevin wrote:

I just when down to the shop and measured:
Back "L" rail - 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/8" thick Front "L" rail - 2.5" x 2.5" x 3/8" thick Front rectangular tubing - 2"h x 3"w x just under 1/8" thick
Tap the tubing, drill the holes on the "L" stock oversized to allow for adjustment.
When I ordered my saw I ordered the Jet Deluxe Commercial fence. A long story but in the end I ended up with Jet's "HomeShop", "Commercial" and "Deluxe Commercial" fences. They all use the same rails.
The "HomeShop" fence was used to upgrade a friend's old Craftsman saw.
Jet's tech support told me that the rails are standard steel stock. (They don't machine it any straighter/flatter than it comes from their supplier).
Go for it!
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

***** CORRECTION *****
Both the front and back "L" rails are 3/16" thick....
Measure twice, type once! ;-(
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Might be cheaper for me to get a 20' stock of 2.5" x 2.5" angle.
Any reason you can see why the back rail cannot be 2.5"?
I assume they just do it that way to save $s, but it may cost be about the same to get one chunk unless I can come across some scrap.