TS dovetail stop block article query

Hey All -

Okay, I'm still hunting for an article on tablesawn dovetail joints. The Editor at Pop WW mag was good enough to fax me the article I was after, but after I got it, that was only part of the story... Hoping someone here remembers what magazine it was in...

Anyway, I built the jig for cutting DT joints on the TS and it worked pretty darn well! The only hitch is that I remember *somewhere* that there was a similar setup that used a series of stop block spacers for setting up the pins/tails.

The fixture for the TS is essentially a vertical "rip" sled that on one side holds the pin boards at X angle for cutting the waste out on either side of the pin. The sled has a single miter runner and you simply swap it left to right so that the angle is going the right way. The miter runner is at the peak of a shallow delta shaped sled. To cut the tails, you swap out the dado blade for either a regular rip blade, or one that has been ground to your DT angle. You mark out the tails from the pins, turn the jig around and use it just like you would hold stock against the back fence vertically on a regular crosscut sled.

Okay, I'm wandering..... anyway, the article had some sort of set up where you had small blocks to cut out the pins and then the tails as well. I've looked at the online WW mag index in some detail and haven't found the article I'm after.

I can tale/post/send pics of this setup if anyone is interested. I did a test setup in a 10" wide scrap of pine and it fit together without any paring of the joint - I was pretty impressed overall....

Hope this rings a bell with one of you kind souls....

Thanks!

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

You may be referring to box or finger joints. Look here

Pat

Pat -

Nope, this ain't it, but thanks for the input - I've seen the box joint jig before - pretty cool....

Thanks!

Reply to
John Moorhead

Sure, post some pics or email them to me. Thanks.

RicodJour

John,

Don't know about the magazine article but Mark Duginski goes over a procedure for cutting dovetails on the table saw in his book "Mastering Woodworking Machines". He uses a stopblock system for both the pins and tails. Maybe this was the source of the article or the article was later included in the book. Its also covered in a video of the same title. Both are from Taunton Press.

Ed

Reply to
cefischer