TS as Disk Sander

Have old Montgomery Wards (PowerKraft) 10" TS and a metal sanding disk to fit it. Replaced the saw with a Powermatic 66 and can't seem to get rid of the PowerKraft. Any advantage to setting it up as a disk sander? What is the most common use for a disk sander? Appreciate all comments. Well !!!!, most anyway.
Thanks Mike B
-
nevems2 wrote:

I have had a couple of disk sanders over the years. They were add-ons to another tool (i.e. a belt sander). I used them once in a great while. It seems to me that the PowerKraft is a huge footprint for an occasionally used tool. Currently I have a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander which has a smaller footprint and does most of what I need. If your shop is huge, ignore my plaint.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Take off the wings and the footprint gets smaller, of course. It'll do for touching up miters, because it tilts and has a miter gage, it will make sure edges are square to the reference side when setting up turnings. resquare edges you fed too fast at the bandsaw, and more.
Now, if somebody offers you a C-note for it, sell. You'll make another woodworker out of them, and have half what it takes to get a reasonable disc sander.

I saw a special 10" disk for the TS years ago. It would sand and cut plastic, metal and tumbling cleanly. But that was an infomercial FWIW.
Before I got my wet saw, I used it to cut tiles. Make sure you clean off all the wood dust or else it could catch on fire or even cause an explosion - don't ask how I know this.

Render unto Caesar ...etc. Use a table saw for sawing, a drill for drilling, and a disk sander for sanding. Buy one. They're cheap enough these days.
nevems2 wrote:

Well, if it were me, I'd put the PowerKraft on ebay with no reserve and just get rid of it. Even if I had tons of space, I wouldn't want the PowerKraft in the way. That's what happens sometimes when you upgrade, you end up giving away an old friend for practically nothing.
<<Well, if it were me, I'd put the PowerKraft on ebay with no reserve and just get rid of it. Even if I had tons of space, I wouldn't want the PowerKraft in the way.>>
I just freed up some valuable shop space by giving my old PowrKraft to my brother. My sister-in-law was not pleased. <g>
Lee

Lee Gordon