TS-Aligner Fall 2007 Promotional Offer!

Page 4 of 4

Oops. You may be wrong.
I've been in a similar situation, and of that $150 at CompUSA, I was supposed to get $130 back. Instead I got $30 back.
I bought stuff because it was cheap - less than $10 after rebate. Example: A can of compressed air to cleaning out a PC - free after rebate. But I had to mail them the UPC symbol - which was on the can. I sent a photocopy instead. (because the can become useless once I removed the UPC). Never got the rebate.
And then there is the postcard you get saying the rebate would not be honored because you didn't include everything. And when I filled out 5-10 at one time this is less that useful, as it never says which rebate it deals with.
Getting all of those CompUSA purchases with rebates of 80% of the price was a bad bad decision. I think they got in trouble with the Attorney General. They no longer do any CompUSA rebates unless it's at the register.

No, the intent wasn't to dump on eBay, the intent was to truly get them "free after rebate". The thought of dumping on eBay came after I realized I got screwed by the rebate company (and hence CompUSA for choosing the rebate company) and the thought of recouping some of my costs. This was close to 10 years ago now, but even back then, I truly didn't need 150 blank 3.5" floppies for $50. $50 minus a $50 mail-in rebate sounded like a deal. Turns out the 25 pack for $5 would've been a better deal, seeing as how I never received my $50 rebate. At that point in my life, I was making 1/10th of what I make now, and losing that $120 hit hard. (Anybody need any floppies? Still got two boxes of 50, unopened. :)
Ya missed my point, though, in that rebates just tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'll still buy something with a rebate, but the value of the rebate doesn't in any way factor into whether or not I'll buy the product. Caveat: if the rebate is greater than about 25% of the cost, I'll shy away.
Bringing this back to the topic, the 10% rebate on the TS Aligner wouldn't make me run out and get one. If I had been planning on buying one sometime, it might make me go out and get one during the rebate period. Having been a lurker here since 1996, I was always under the impression that if I really wanted one, I could buy directly from Ed.
Knowing that I could now convince a dealer to sell me one, honestly, I'd still try to buy directly from Ed first, rebate or not.
<lurk mode on>
--
Regards,
-Steve in Banks, OR

Excellent product! I use my TS-Aligner Jr for EVERY project. I used it today to make sure my Osborne EB3 (miter gauge) was still square after laying around the shop for a while. Took me 5-10 minutes and I didn't have to make a single test cut.
No affiliation just a satisfied user.
Review: http://www.garagewoodworks.com/TS_aligner.htm
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

How about an instant coupon savings. Customers can print one off your website or you could affix one to each box like a lot of manufacturers do today. Then you can instruct distributors that for each one they turn in that they can get some type of incentive. I wouldn't do rebates.
Allen

Hi Allen,
The coupon thing works great in a retail environment where the item is being purchased in person. But, it doesn't account for mail/phone/web order dealers. It might also precipitate a price increase to cover the carrying costs. It assumes that the dealer is willing to do some work for me. And, it doesn't do anything to attract dealers who don't already offer the products. I'm afraid it doesn't really apply in my situation.
Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner

Ed, The problem with some dealers though is the old adage "what is in it for me?" I work as a salesman/technical advisor for a company and the biggest headache is always when there is a rep that wants to do something like a rebate. I always suggest that for every widget we sell that we turn in a coupon from a consumer, that we earn points or some type of discount towards future purchases. At the end of the promotion, I always take the discount. Bottom line is the most important to them and a way to improve future profits is a likeable and doable option. Another way is to partner with a select few distributors that are your highest volume. Have them offer it as a Internet coupon.
Allen

Ed Bennett wrote:
| Every year I post a special offer here on rec.woodworking to show my | appreciation for all your help and support. This year is no | different.
I've noticed. I haven't bought, but I've noticed - and appreciated your willingness to offer people a break on what I understand to be a good product.
| Buy a Genuine TS-Aligner product and related accessories from any | valid woodworking tools and equipment dealer between September 1, | 2007 and December 31, 2007 and receive a 10% factory direct rebate. | Any dealer will do, even if they have never sold TS-Aligner products | before. Just have your favorite dealer give me a call or send me | email. I'll provide them with everything they need to facilitate | your purchase.
If I decide I'm going to buy a tool, it's because I've decided that I have a current (and nearly always, also a future) need and the tool in question meets or exceeds my needs. I don't want to be a participant in a sales and marketing process - I just want the tool so I can put it to work.
Like many others, I don't trust rebate offers. At this stage of the game I've come to believe that rebates provide the offerer with (another) opportunity to clutter my mailboxes with wastepaper and spam and to sell contact info to others, and I won't even consider putting first class postage on an envelope and going to Kinko's to make a copy of my receipt unless the rebate is large compared to the dollar and time cost involved.
Having said that, I'll follow on with the info that large rebates (the kind I just said might prompt me to take action) set off my internal alarms that a product is normally grossly overpriced to begin with, and that I need to be wary of the manufacturer/vendor involved.
Worse for you, if I decide I need your product at a time when it's not on sale, I'm likely to feel resentful because I know I'm paying 11+% more than if it were discounted 10%. I realize that this isn't completely rational - but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not feeling good about either you or your product, even though I've never met you or tried your product.