TS-Aligner Fall 2007 Promotional Offer!

Page 1 of 4
Hi Folks!
Every year I post a special offer here on rec.woodworking to show my appreciation for all your help and support. This year is no different.
TS-Aligner Fall 2007 10% Mail-in Rebate Offer!
Buy a Genuine TS-Aligner product and related accessories from any valid woodworking tools and equipment dealer between September 1, 2007 and December 31, 2007 and receive a 10% factory direct rebate. Any dealer will do, even if they have never sold TS-Aligner products before. Just have your favorite dealer give me a call or send me email. I'll provide them with everything they need to facilitate your purchase.
Follow this link for details:
http://www.ts-aligner.com/announcements.htm
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If you think the group would benefit from the answer please feel free to post your question/comment here. I will keep track of this thread and answer promptly.
I will be posting reminders to this thread throughout the promotion to make sure that everyone who visits the wreck gets a chance to see it.
Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
"Ed Bennett" wrote in message

< fwiw soap box>
Ed, you're a good guy with a great product, but I gotta tell you, I've personally reached the point where I see "mail in rebate" and I immediately run the other way.
No way in hell I will ever buy _anything_ using that method of promotion.
< /fwiw soap box>
Sorry ... It ain't your fault, but you don't often get the opportunity to tell it to the horse's mouth. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07
Swingman wrote:

Me neither. Not knocking the product but that's why I buy much more stuff from Best Buy than Circuit City. An offered rebate is ignored.... the price had better be right to begin with or I ain't inclined to buy.
I've been screwed by big companies like Western Digital because I bought TWO instead of one hard drive (isn't that the point?). Wel, screw them... and that's my feeling toward any rebate offer I read.
There are better ways to promote a product.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
On Sep 3, 4:24 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Ed Bennett wrote:

How is it that companies like Best Buy can offer competitive pricing to Circuit City while at the same time avoiding the ubiquitous rebates that CC offer? I don't know how they do it but I do know that they do it all the time.
To respond to your reply to the other poster, yes, the negativity associated with rebates is directly related to poorly administered programs. They make you hop through the hoops... if you forget to include one little requirement you're out of the running... there are unreasonable restrictions. "One to a household"? What the hell difference does it matter how many households are involved? Isn't the whole idea to sell MORE items? Or would you rather it remain "one to a customer"?
But let's say you jump through the hoops, cross all the t's and dot all the i's. Then they just claim they never received it. Please remail it. However, since the original proof of purchase was in the first envelope and the company won't accept copies, that become a joke. However, the joke's on the original company as I no longer buy their products. They only get one chance to rape me.
You had to ask these questions? You've never tried to get a rebate yourself? You must lead a sheltered existence. I don't know anybody who hasn't been screwed by a rebate offer.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

Also why I will not buy most electronic items, like printers, from CC. If the "mail in rebate" is a good thing for the customer, fine ... let the retailer pass on immediate savings to the customer, and send in the rebate themselves.
I would be willing to bet that's what you're seeing in many instances at BB (although still not my favorite retailer for electronic goods).
Even with shipping, I often get a better deal online ... Web 2.0, doncha know! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

So, who would be your favorite electronic retailer? I'm looking for a Channel Master CM4221 antenna to signal the HDTV (720p) I bought from Circuit City today (NO REBATE!) I could internet one but would like to take it with me soes I can set the whole rig hooked up when I get out to the ranch late this week.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Yep, the instant rebate. It requires the dealer to do something. For high volume products which have good demand from a manufacturer that they cannot live without this works. But, it doesn't work for my products or my purposes.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner

Well Ed, you are getting answers from your target audience. You need to please us, not the dealer. The dealer is in a business relationship with you. The customer does not want to be in that relationship. The customer is not profiting from your product, the dealer is. You may need to do more homework to determine how to get the dealer more interested in selling your product. Asking the dealer to handle rebates is less work than asking each and every customer to handle his own rebate. By-pass the dealer if he does not want to cooperate.
On Sep 3, 5:02 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

I can't comment on how multi-billion dollar outfits like Best Buy and Circuit City make their marketing, pricing, and promotional decisions. I suspect that the process is significantly different from mine ;-) I'd bet that the monthly mortgage payment doesn't figure into the formula.

Yes, I have gone through all the hoops on a number of occasions to get the rebate. It is a PITA to be sure. There are no hoops with my rebate program. The form is included in the box for every TS-Aligner product shipped to dealers. I just want to make sure that you actually purchased the product(s) and that you are a real person. Just fill out the name and address (without which you cannot receive the check) and mail it back within a month of the purchase. I personally receive the mail and process the payment. The name and address get filed away forever - never to be used for spam or junk mail.
Contrary to popular belief, a lot of rebate programs aren't about increasing sales; they generally have ulterior motives. Often, they are collecting demographic information. It's cheaper to pay end users to fill out the form than to pay a market research firm to hunt down the info sometime later. So, "one to a household" makes sense. My ulterior motive involves building a dealer channel.

Won't happen with me. But, I understand why people might believe that it would.

Yes, I have, on several occasions. Once they decided not to award the rebate. But, it didn't bother me all that much because I wasn't actually betting my financial future on receiving the rebate. The rebate just prompted me to take a closer look at the product that I wasn't paying much attention to. It added weight the decision process. I didn't feel as if I had been ripped off because the product didn't cost any more than it normally did. The rebate would have been gravy. No real regrets.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com home of the TS-Aligner
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 19:02:02 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

They invest the rebate money on the spot market and the earned interest makes up fot the discount to you. Plus any they can avoid paying out is gravey in their pocket. Made it simple for myself...I don't shop Circuit City ever, rarely Office Depot. If I have to buy I pay full price over a rebate or wait til there is an instant rebate somewhere else. I have always been a fan of HP equipment until they bought Compac. Having been royaly screwed by Compac on a lap top problem they knew about in advance now HP is off my list! (helped my attitude some when HP lost their ass in than purchase). The old addage screw me once good for you screw me twice bad for me!

The problem with a rebate regardless of whether you get it fulfilled or not is that it takes a minimum of 2-4 weeks to receive. Typically this goes up to 3 months. The poor performance by many of those responsible for delivering the rebate has left a very bad taste in the consumers mouth. Foe me, the rebate IS NOT an incentive to buy a product. If the product I buy also has a rebate then that is a plus, but certainly not a reason to buy that product. Basically the customer has to work to get his hopeful discount.
The better way that you want to know about would be the same one that the automobile manufacturers use. They advertise "X" dollars cash back and this translates to immediate price reductions to the consumer. The dealer simply provides proof of the purchase to the manufacturer and is reimbursed the discount. You could simply request the copy of the invoice from the distributor or reseller and give him back the 10% of the sale price or credit his account. The customer comes out ahead and really and truly you are here to serve the customer, not the other way around.
"Leon" wrote in message

There, Ed, is your answer on how to approach your "sale" in a manner that does not make the thoughtful, informed buyer feel like he is being scammed.
Well put, Leon!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

From an old marketing man's perspective;
Almost everybody has been screwed by a rebate at one time or another.
Therefore all rebates are considered scams.
Therefore all stores/businesses who offer them are considered crooks.
And if you should offer a rebate, you will be lumped into the afore mentioned crook catagory.
Don't get angry with me Ed. The number one problem I had with marketing clients was their howls of protest that they were not the bad guys. Even though their business practices were exactly like the bad guys.
Remember, from a marketing perspective, perception is everything. For many (most?) folks, rebate means there is some kinda lie'n and cheatin' goin' on here.
Hi Lee,
Thanks. I'm not sure that the sentiment is quite as universal as you suggest, but the point is valid and well taken. If you've got better ideas (and don't mind doing some freelance) I would be interested in talking to you.
Thanks, Ed

It just doesn't fit my situation. I really wouldn't expect a dealer - who doesn't know anything about me or my products - to go out of their way to administer the "instant rebate" thing for me. I would be embarrassed to even suggest it. Ideally, the transaction should encourage the dealer to carry the products in their store/catalog/web site. It definitely makes it more attractive for the customer. But, I could do that much easier if I wasn't interested in building a dealer channel.

Whoa, wait a minute, how is it that your dealer does not know a thing about you? Use your head, offer a 12% rebate to the dealer and let him discount the product 10% to the customer. If you are billing him, let him use the 12% rebate forms work to debit his bill or to immediately suppliment his payment.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
This works great if the dealer can't live without your products. That's not exactly my situation ;-). I don't think there's much hope getting them to cooperate.

So build a product that the dealer wants to have in stock. If it is a good selling item, he will want to stock it and put up with marketing techniques. That said, don't ask the end user/customer to do something that you would not ask your dealer to do. The dealer is not as important as the end user, period. If your product is good, the customer will find a way to buy it.
I think you're just missing the big picture here Leon. Kind of reminds me of the guy who said: "It's easy to make money in the stock market - just buy low and sell high."