TS-Aligner Fall 2006 Promotional Offer!

Lockheed came out with the computer shortly after the song, IIRC. The acronym stood for "System User Engineered", a blatant example of reaching a little too far for a catchy name :-).

As delivered, it came with a teletype. After writing a program, I first had to punch it out on paper tape using "ghost" code (4 bits per frame), then:

Load the Fortran compiler. Load my source tape. Punch out the assembler code. Load the assembler. Load the assembler code. Punch out the object code. Load the link editor. Load the object code. Load the subroutine library tape(s), Punch out the executable program. Load the executable program.

All this at an effective speed of 55 baud :-).

If I avoided getting a tape jam in all of that, I then got to test my program and do the whole thing over again if I found a bug. It did tend to make one into a verrry careful programmer :-).

I also got very good at wrapping paper tape by the bowtie method :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

| As delivered, it came with a teletype. After writing a program, I | first had to punch it out on paper tape using "ghost" code (4 bits | per frame), then: | | Load the Fortran compiler. | Load my source tape. | Punch out the assembler code. | Load the assembler. | Load the assembler code. | Punch out the object code. | Load the link editor. | Load the object code. | Load the subroutine library tape(s), | Punch out the executable program. | Load the executable program. | | All this at an effective speed of 55 baud :-).

That's amazing given that "high-speed" reel-to-reel paper tape readers and very much faster paper tape punches were in common use by that time. Even the fairly primitive (no RAM and no semiconductors) pre-FORTRAN Bendix G-15 came equipped with both of these paper tape devices - and even then there was a mag tape option. I'd have expected better of Lockheed.

The overall chain of load-input/execute/output sequences is still pretty much the same - it's just that the media and the logic have become faster and larger.

Morris Dovey

As a member of this group for 6 years I've rarely seen Ed mention his product, but I have seen him many times add helpfull advice to us. I also appreciate his giving the opportunity to purchase it at half price. I purchased mine at full price & think it's a great product

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

I suspect it's a training issue- we've still got programs on magnetic cassette tapes at work. My machines use 3.25" floppies (still old, IMO- I'd like to see them all networked), but all the breaks have the old FANUC cassette readers.

They could change them, sure- but that would require more than just retooling. It would also require retraining the operators to use a new interface and storage medium as well. Judging by the general lack of computer skills that is still fairly common even today, that could add up to a lot of downtime and botched parts. The guy on first shift has been running one my machines for seven years, and he *still* doesn't know that he can reorder the list of programs in the office to put them in ascending order, and wastes a lot of time scrolling through huge lists of part numbers to find what he needs.

Heck, there was even a paper tape reader on a machining center in the place I worked at in 2003. Nobody knew how to use it anymore, so we'd program it via the controller, but it was there.

Then again, I don't know that much about Lockheed- it could be that you're right, and they are generally more on the ball than that.

Reply to
Prometheus

Oh, I'm sure there were better interface devices available. But this was a bare bones operation. The computer was dedicated to driving a large Xynetics flatbed plotter, and there were only a few programs that needed to be written.

I cannot seem to remember how we eventually input the plot data, but the operation folded after a few months so perhaps it never got that far.

There were some very odd devices that appeared and disappeared during the first few decades of computers. One I remember was a "positioning head drum", a large vertically mounted drum with up to four sets of heads, each on it's own moving bar. The reason it sticks in my mind was that a separate computer could be hooked up to each of the head sets. I went so far as to design a timesharing system based around it, and ran some promising simulations, but could never convince my bosses to budget for it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

eBay seller - user ID todd1814 - location Birmingham, AL

Reply to
Backwards Communications

Hi Folks,

This is just a promised reminder: Only 21 days left! A few have taken advantage of this offer. One has even put up several on Ebay:

only do this once per year, and only for the members of rec.woodworking. You will never see a better price on brand new Aligners. Here's the link:

me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

show my appreciation to the wreck for all your help and support I thought I would do something completely different this year.

How about a HALF PRICE sale!

Well, there are some strings attached...

First, I'm only offering one particular configuration of TS-Aligner Jr. at half price (top teir dealer pricing). It's not a stripped down model but it's also not a premium version. You get the complete TS-Aligner Jr. with the Storage Case and the DVD but only one choice of dial indicator: the standard MHC brand:

other parts or accessories or configurations are included in this offer. The units will be brand new with the standard warranty and everything.

Second, you have to buy a whole case of Jr's at once (16 units) - all shipped to a single address. So, the offer isn't such a great deal for someone who doesn't belong to a group or doesn't have any friends. But, this is rec.woodworking. If you are reading this message then you are already part of a really big group! All you guys have to do is decide which of you is trustworthy enough to organize the purchase and distribute the Aligners when they come in.

Third, the offer has a specific and limited duration. It will start on November 1, 2006 and end on December 31, 2006.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If you think the group would benefit from the answer please feel free to post your question/comment here. It would also make sense to use this thread to organize your purchase(s).

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

of the TS-Aligner

Reply to
ejb

Hi Folks,

This is just a promised reminder: Only 5 days left! A few have taken advantage of this offer. One has even been putting his up for sale on Ebay:

are his last six units so if you want to get a Jr. at a really good price (several have sold for as little as $105!) this is your chance to do it.

I only offer a special once per year, and only for the members of rec.woodworking. You will never see a better price on brand new Aligners. Here's the link with all the details: