TS

A couple of weeks ago I asked for input on right or left tilt ts, now I have two table saws that I'm looking at, the Grizzly G0444 and the Hitachi C11FL (at Lowes), the Hitachi looks like a better buy as it includes castors and saw blade, I have some of both Grizzly and Hitachi equipment, and am looking for feed back on which is the better value.

Cheers, Thomas Cleveland

Reply to
THOMAS CLEVELAND

.

The one with the best value will be the one that cuts the most accurately, effeciently and easy to use regardless of what kind of casters it has. A saw that is a PIA to use but easy to roll around is worthless.

According to Google and the Hitachi web sites there is no C11FL saw, there is a C10 FL however.

Peraonally I would steer away from a saw with a 2 piece front rail fence guide as is the case with the Hitachi.

My choice would be the Griz.

Reply to
Leon

The better value is the one that makes you happy; not knowing the prices I have no clue. The casters are nice to have if you must move the saw. As for including the saw blade, don't let that be a consideration. The blade they give you is worth about $10 retail and is suitable for cutting a 2 x 4, not real woodworking. The first thing you should do is invest in a good combination blade from Infinity, Ridge Carbide, Forrest, etc.

I'd get the saw with the better fence.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably one of those cases where the model number and some trivial item are modified for Lowe's (or HD, or other large retailer) so that there cannot be a competitive match... nobody else sells "the same item."

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thomas,

There have been several negative comments on the Hitachi saws on the sawmillcreek discussion board.

cm

Reply to
cm

I have about a month's experience with the G0444Z and it was very good.

I have owned a Grizzly G1023S cabinet saw for about eight years and couldn't be happier with it. Solid Saw, good power and the Shop Fox Classic fence is a very effective Biesemeyer clone that actually scored as well as the Bies in some recent reviews. About three years ago our son built his owned house in SW Missouri and we spent 3-4 weeks down there helping him trim it. He had access to many tools but I told him he would have to acquire a good table saw. He drove up to Springfield and picked up the Z. The first thing I noticed was it had the new aluminum version of the Shop Fox Classic fence , and I found it to be lighter but functionally very similar to the classic. The Z also comes with cast iron tables very similar to my 1023S. The 2hp motor seemed nearly as strong as my 3HP. I was able to get used to using the machine with very little trouble.

If you are leaning toward the Griz product I might suggest you drop the extra $100 for a Z. The value you get with the cast iron wings and larger motor is well worth it. Be aware though that the Z version is a 220v machine. If 220 is a problem, I'm sure the basic machine will serve you well.

Reply to
RonB

I was interrupted.

A final note -- I ended up assembling this 10444Z saw. The sheet metal legs and cross-supports are very substantial on the G0444Z, far exceeding the Craftsman table saw I owned years ago. We put a Shop- Fox mobile base under it which makes moving the machine very easy. The miter gauge was, well a miter gauge. I believe it was the same as my 1023S which I thought would be replaced by now with an aftermarket gauge. I guess the fact that I'm still using it says it's OK.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

A couple years ago, I did much research on contractor saws, ($500 range) my conclusion was the Griz 444Z looked to be the best deal going. Things changed, bought nothing for a year, now have Griz 1023.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Any reason you're avoiding the Ridgid TS3660 or R4511?

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

It doesn't look like HD carries the TS3660 any longer. They've got the new granite top version, and it's lacking on fit and finish. Sad to see such a value go.

It might be different at the OP's HD, but if you want one you'll probably have to call around.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'd say that it's worth calling around for a 3660. I haven't seen the granite topped saw personally.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have seen it. Very uninspiring.

I guess I just don't get it. Why granite?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Doesn't rust.

I'm curious--what shortcomings do you observe?

Reply to
J. Clarke

It does chip, break, stain and other assorted things. Granite requires maintenance in the Kitchen and my shop is maybe a little tougher environment that that.

I occasionally drop things.

Why does this, too, remind me of Craftsman of the mid-70's?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I have the Griz, and it has been a good saw. It came with a blade, but that was only good for firewood. Get a WW2 or equivelant for actual woodworking. I was amazed at the difference between a new "factory" blade and the Forrest WW2. Run 220vac if you can.

Hope this helps.....

Reply to
rich

I have the cheapest of the Hitachi TS's. While I have to say that I got good value for the $200, I'd never buy it again. Too many little details were wrong with it out of the box, and it's braking down after

3 yrs of light/moderate use. I'm willing to bet that the higher models have the same problems. Get anything but....

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

Follow up on previous post.

I was in Lowes yesterday and saw their CF10 table saw. In my humble opinion, the fence and rail are no close match for the Grizzly fence and rail - too lightweight and the fence seemed weak. The machine on the floor didn't have table extensions mounted yet so I don't know if they are sheet metal or cast. the rest of the machine looked OK and the built in casters are kinda nice.

I'd still go with the Griz.

Ron

Reply to
RonB