Trying to square a 4x4 piece of hard maple

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:17:33 -0800, "Kerry Montgomery"

Moulder Or a vertical jointer. They are not terribly common today. A honking big table router would also work I've done 2" on the router table, not sure how much bigger cutters would be available.
Kerry Montgomery wrote: ...

Actually, not sure if anybody makes one now, but in the early 70s-80s time frame Delta introduced precisely that....unfortunately, I can't even recall at the moment what it was they called it. It didn't make a big hit and didn't last very long. I saw one in an auction list not terribly long ago but don't have a link at the moment, sorry...
Maybe one of the other oldtimers will recall them. If I get some time I'll try to find one of the old catalogs or do a google and see if can find any links to the past...
Never owned one, did get chance to use one once't. Handy and useful but not indispensible, obviously. IIRC, the cutter head cutting radius was about 8" or less. It used a set of inset knives on a surface plate and was able to joint very tiny and thin pieces that couldn't be considered on a normal jointer since there was a support plate behind the knives instead of the open gap on a jointer table.
dpb wrote:

OK, there is one at the OWWM site...they were the "Uniplane"...
<http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 9>

Well, I did manage to get things so that they are square within about 1/32-->1/16 of an inch which is close enough for what I'm doing. Iwas pushing the piece against the fence and not the table, and eventually, with a lot of work, got 3 legs done. I need to invest in a bigger, better jointer for projects this size.
Thank you all for all the help.
-Jim
jtpr wrote: ...

Did you try the test on a couple pieces of (say), 4x4 pine (could even build it up out of a couple scrap tubafor for the purpose) to check on the accuracy of the jointer/fence setup? Should be much easier to machine and two placed facing each other on the flat surface of the saw table or similar should match precisely or show double the error...
If that doesn't work well, then the setup just isn't right (or the fence moves or something...)

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

No, the Rockwell/Delta "Uniplane" -- posted link to pich'urs at OWWM in followup...

I believe you're referring to the Uniplane.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 9

All the deli counters have them for the cold cuts.
I believe you're referring to the Uniplane.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 9

All the deli counters have them for the cold cuts.
I believe you're referring to the Uniplane.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 9

"jtpr" wrote:

Eat your Wheaties.
A 4x4 hunk of maple is hefty and will require you exert considerable force to hold the piece against the fence for the entire cut.
If your jointer is truly "tuned", then have to make sure the operator is also "tuned".
BTW, I'd stay away from the T/S.
This is a job for your jointer and planer to yield square stock IMHO.
Have fun.
Lew

This reminds me of my High School freshman wood shop class. For us to be able to use, and appreciate, the power tools we first had to prove we could use hand tools. One of the tasks was to get a scrap piece of wood and after our instructor measured it, he would tell us what size, length, width and height; it must be reduced to. The only tools we could use were a hand plane, a square and a tape measure and absolutely no sandpaper. All measurements not only had to be the exact dimensions he specified but all the faces had to be exactly square, parallel and perpendicular to the other respective faces for the entire length. He inspected all wood blocks very closely. Some kids took several weeks for each task.
I'm sure with a little time you could do it by hand. If you do, just think of the pride you will have when completed.