trying to identify a "rare" wood type

Thank you for helping in advance.

I live in a very old farmhouse in Minnesota. I purchased the home from someone who dabbled in woodworking and lumbering out trees etc. There were several pieces of rare wood left over here when we moved in in 1992.

In my basement, is a vertical wood post approximately 6" square that is rough cut and painted over with what looks like whitewash or cheap white paint. About 8 feet in length.

Hand written on the lower part of the post is this (exact spelling): "rare red headed peokeawood"

Does anyone here know what that might be? Search engines come up with nothing that I can tell.

Again - thanks. Regards,

Reply to
Charlie Wolf

I suspect that it might be a joke.

Reply to
Leon

...or a troll.

Reply to
krw

Peokea, itself, (seems to be) might be a foreign word. Peokeawood may be a misspelling (mispronounciation), of woodpecker, by the previous owners (being of foreign ancestry?). Woodpecker, in Italian, is picchio.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Of peckerwood? Probably.

You've been trolled.

Reply to
krw

Fully realizing the bogus nature of the original post, I do have a question .

All of you are familiar with the National Wood Products Lab in Wisconsin, r ight?

We had a some stuff here, found only in billets. that neither the frau nor I could identify. Dark, cut well, sanded like glass, had white flecks in i t. Looked like nothing I had ever seen. Thought it might be old growth ch estnut. Sent a sample off to the above folks and were floored by the answe r, white oak. Highly weathered and aged white oak.

The whole thing was free. They do not get in a hurry, but if you ever have a piece of wood that stumps you, send it to:

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

They are a great resource. Two on-line places I use is Hobbit House Inc

and the Wood database

Ralph E Lindberg