Trying to ID chairs

Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood?

Thanks!

Doc

That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find.

Reply to
Doc

They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues such as Montgomery Wards.

Reply to
Mike Wilcox

: >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : >

: >

: >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : >

: >

: > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : >

: >

: : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.

Reply to
firstjois

: >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : >

: >

: >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : >

: >

: > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : >

: >

: : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.

A lot of people consider anything over 50 years old to be antiques, they might have more value than you'd suspect.

Jois

Reply to
firstjois

: >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : >

: >

: >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : >

: >

: > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : >

: >

: : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.

See

as an example.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

: >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : >

: >

: >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : >

: >

: > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : >

: >

: : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.

More:

and "t back chairs" gives several pictures and prices.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

They are called dining room chairs. Usually come in sets of four.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Doc

I just disovered they have "HAVERTY-JAX" stenciled across the underside of the of seats. Presumably they were sold or manuf'd by Haverty's out of Jacksonville sometime between the time the Mayflower landed and now.

Reply to
Doc

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:34:39 GMT, "Doc" calmly ranted:

Try the local library for: The complete guide to furniture styles. Book Author: Boger, Louise Ade. Publisher, Date: New York, Scribner [1959] Description: x, 438 p. plates, map. 26 cm.

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We have Haverty's furniture stores here in Austin, TX, so that JAX m-i-g-h-t mean Jacksonville in East Texas.

Reply to
<crosem

Those are top values for fully restored examples, at auction in the rough they go for considerably less. The cost of restoration is close what they go for restored, the last ones I did I charged $140.00* each. The lower quality examples are not worth fixing in the current market.

  • Two years ago, strip, reglue, refinish
Reply to
Mike Wilcox

Now they would hardly date from the early 1600s. Try and get real.

Mike Wilcox, has already explained all about this type of chair. What more do you really need to know? At the very, very best (although I've have my doubts) first quarter of the 20th century. Worth? not very much, IMO.

Reply to
Ronnie McKinley

I'd say first half of the 20th century to cover the majority. In my neck of the woods a single run of the mill T-back that needs some TLC runs $15-$35 a set of four $135-$225.

Jessica

Reply to
Jessica V.

No dealer, auctioneer or collector worth his or her salt would regard 50 year old items as "antique" - what the general ignorant masses regard as antique is another story. Watching something like Bargain Hunt is witness to that.

Of course, that is not to say **certain** items and objects of 50 years of age (or less) can not be worth large sums of money. But in this case, the items are neither antique nor I'm I afraid worth any considerable money. In fact, they are gad damn ugly and rather ill-made looking things and unless they have some sentimental value I personally wouldn't give them house room.

Reply to
Ronnie McKinley

Reply to
patrick conroy

From Merriam Webster Online:

Main Entry: fa·ce·tious Pronunciation: f&-'sE-sh&s Function: adjective Etymology: Middle French facetieux, from facetie jest, from Latin facetia

1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : WAGGISH 2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious
Reply to
Doc

Again, not being serious. Of course, I don't know exactly how old they are but I didn't really think they were a hefted over by the Pilgrims.

What's significant about 1885? Founding of Jacksonville?

Reply to
Doc

Reply to
John Bragg