Trying to ID chairs

Page 1 of 2
Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood?
Thanks!
http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/album1_001.htm
<T-13> wrote in message

That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find.
Doc wrote:

They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues such as Montgomery Wards.
: > : >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : > : > : >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : > : > : > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : > : > : : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.
: > : >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : > : > : >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : > : > : > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : > : > : : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.
A lot of people consider anything over 50 years old to be antiques, they might have more value than you'd suspect.
Jois

No dealer, auctioneer or collector worth his or her salt would regard 50 year old items as "antique" - what the general ignorant masses regard as antique is another story. Watching something like Bargain Hunt is witness to that.
Of course, that is not to say **certain** items and objects of 50 years of age (or less) can not be worth large sums of money. But in this case, the items are neither antique nor I'm I afraid worth any considerable money. In fact, they are gad damn ugly and rather ill-made looking things and unless they have some sentimental value I personally wouldn't give them house room.
--
Ronnie

Ronnie McKinley <no-where> wrote:

CAVEAT: What is accepted as an 'antique' *does* vary. widely. *Depending* on the type of product involved.
For furniture, the 'accepted standard' is "100 years or more" old .
For automobiles, 50 years does qualify for legal status as an antique in most states.
For computers, 50 years would be (nearly) universally regarded as 'antique'. Probably even 25 years.

Robert Bonomi wrote: [snip]>

    mahalo,     jo4hn
: > : >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : > : > : >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : > : > : > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : > : > : : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.
See http://www.southbayantiques.com/chairs.htm as an example.
Josie
firstjois wrote:

Those are top values for fully restored examples, at auction in the rough they go for considerably less. The cost of restoration is close what they go for restored, the last ones I did I charged $140.00* each. The lower quality examples are not worth fixing in the current market.
* Two years ago, strip, reglue, refinish
: > : >>>Hello, I'm trying to determine what to call these chairs as to style, : >>>type etc. Maybe a guess as to what kind of wood? : > : > : >>Sorry, looks like crap to me. : >>Don't quit your day job. : > : > : > That's nice. I wasn't asking if they were worth a mint, just what kind of : > chair they are. Since there doesn't appear to be a forum for "unidentified : > old chairs" this seems to be the closest group I can find. : > : > : : They're what some call "T Backs", a Colonial Revival style chair based : very, very loosely on original Queen Ann chairs. These were produced by : the millions during the turn of the 19th Century by factories centered : around Grand Rapids Michigan and sold by Mail order through catalogues : such as Montgomery Wards.
More:
http://www.gindersantiques.com/chairsrockers.htm
www.google.com and "t back chairs" gives several pictures and prices.
Josie

Thanks for the info!
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:34:39 GMT, "Doc"

Try the local library for:          The complete guide to furniture styles.         Book          Author: Boger, Louise Ade.     Publisher, Date: New York, Scribner [1959]     Description: x, 438 p. plates, map. 26 cm.
---- - Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? - http://diversify.com Web Applications

They are called dining room chairs. Usually come in sets of four.
I just disovered they have "HAVERTY-JAX" stenciled across the underside of the of seats. Presumably they were sold or manuf'd by Haverty's out of Jacksonville sometime between the time the Mayflower landed and now.
We have Haverty's furniture stores here in Austin, TX, so that JAX m-i-g-h-t mean Jacksonville in East Texas.

Now they would hardly date from the early 1600s. Try and get real.
Mike Wilcox, has already explained all about this type of chair. What more do you really need to know? At the very, very best (although I've have my doubts) first quarter of the 20th century. Worth? not very much, IMO.
--
Ronnie

Ronnie McKinley wrote:

I'd say first half of the 20th century to cover the majority. In my neck of the woods a single run of the mill T-back that needs some TLC runs $15-$35 a set of four $135-$225.
Jessica

From Merriam Webster Online:
Main Entry: facetious Pronunciation: f&-'sE-sh&s Function: adjective Etymology: Middle French facetieux, from facetie jest, from Latin facetia 1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : WAGGISH <just being facetious> 2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>

1885 and now...