Trying to decide on a Band Saw.

Hello,
I am trying to decide on a band saw. My budget has me looking at these three: Delta 14" 28-206 1hp $500-520 http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 6&p8, Delta 14" 28-276 3/4hp $405 http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 6&p9 and CanWood 14" 10-305 1hp $470 http://www.westerntool.com/product.htm?pidF0604 . The CanWood is a steel box frame and is made in Taiwan, both Delta machines are cast iron frames as everyone probably knows.
Thanks in advance, Gene
Go for horsepower and buy good blades. Robert
I agree, go for the HP & good blades. And wheels so you can move it easily. Also note that the CanWood cannot take a riser block and you will forever be limited to 6" resawing capacity with it.
Art

Knotbob and Wood Butcher,
Thanks. I had the same idea about the Canwood. It looks like a nice machine and has all the bells n whistles, but I would be limited to smaller material. I have also had a hard time finding any infomation or reviews on the machine. The one horse Delta has a mail in rebate for a riser kit and the 3/4 hp model comes with the mobile base.
Gene
"Hog Head" wrote in message

The 28-206 is made in China. The 28-203 was Delta's basic, and only, wood cutting 14" bandsaw until the past year or so ... made in USA, with some of the forging done in Mexico for a while and sold in different packages, with stand, without stand, limited edition, motor size (3/4 and 1 HP mostly), and various model numbers designating package.
Reviews are mixed on Delta's new bandsaws and the model numbers have turned into alphanumeric confusion. I'd buy used (anything starting with the basic 28-203) before I'd buy new ... just my .02
In short, try to find a used 28-203, you'll be glad you waited ... and contrary to other's opinions, I would not worry too much about horsepower. A well set up 1/2 HP bandsaw will out resaw a poorly setup 1 HP any day IME.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/12/05

I agree,
The more recent numbers for the US made 14" is 28-248 and the X5 version 28-475X. They have been out for several years and you might even find one of them used. They can be purchased new, but not in that price range. The X5, which is the best deal is probably around 8-850
A well maintained used USA made Delta 14" is much better than the two Chinese units currently offered.
Frank

I recently bought a 28-206 and took it back because it was defective. (I do not mean to imply that all model 28-206s are defective, just that the one I bought was.) I took your (Frank's) advice and bought a Delta X5 bandsaw. I don't regret it at all, even though the saw cost several hundred dollars more.
If the OP (Hog Head) is interested in the thread with Frank's advice, the message ID of my original post is
(A good newsreader should let you double-click the Message-ID to either read it -- if the post is still on the server -- or query the Google archive for it.)
At the risk of turning this into a never-ending thread, I'd recommend that you at least take a look at the Ridgid. Low price, lifetime warranty and easy to add the Grizzly riser block kit, which I just did to mine on Monday. The Herc-U-Lift caster set also works great with it. By the way, if anyone is wondering, the Herc-U-Lift does NOT work with the Dewalt 746 table saw... DAMHIKT.
-John
I was looking at the Ridgid bandsaw writeup on the Home Depot website. Every now and then, it's those "teenie weenie" mistakes that add spice to life!
The bandsaw description reads - "3/4 HP TEFC Induction motor for quiet, smooth running belt drive that delivers power to resaw up to 6 Ft.' thick oak."
6 FEET thick?? Wow!! That is SOME bandsaw!!!
LOL
Jack
John Girouard wrote:

The Canwood looks like a good machine but the steel box design limits the resaw height to about 6". The Delta cast iron frame style can be modified with a riser kit to give you about 12" Delta is prob made in Taiwan too, but most Delta stuff is made there now. Dont let that be deciding factor. I just bought a KING bandsaw and am very happy with it (so far.. fingers crossed) I was surprised at a few features it has that I wasnt expecting. Plus... KING has a big parts warehouse in Montreal. Ever try to get parts for imported machinery?

Hog Head wrote:

i have the delta 14 inch. Although it seems to be build well fit and finish, have Never been that impressed with it. I tell you, a lot of the ability to cut is in the blade. Delta blades are junk, timberwolf or other high silicon blades very good and I can resaw with a 1/4 blade (not more than 3 in thick material). Really don't like the delta to change blades, very hard readjust the roller and blocks on the lower guide after changing. Dust collection seems poor, not sure why. Also, get cool blocks. On the positive side, it has tracked well for 3 years, does cut well when finally set up well. Get a good fence with attachment at both ends.
Michael B. Ryan
I have the Jet 14" and it's fine. If I were you, I'd go to the bookstore or library and read what Lonnie Bird and Mark Duginske say about choosing a bandsaw. Here are a couple of things I would pay attention to:
* 4" dust port -- I would make sure it has one. I finally rigged up something with sewer pipe that works alright on my Jet, but you really want to get one with a 4" port, even if you don't have a dust collector right now.
* New tension rod -- Nearly all the tension rods are very difficult to turn, especially to completely remove the tension on the blade. Even if the saw had a snazzy lever to take the tension off, I'd still replace the tension rod. Once you do that, the lever doesn't matter much. Something like this: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDV20 I think Iturra Designs has a less expensive one. You can also make your own handle that fits on top of the existing one.
* Resaw capacity -- Riser block on my Jet (and Delta's of the same vintage) adds 6" to the resaw capacity, but reduces throat capacity. If you have or plan to buy a 6" jointer, then your real resaw capacity is only about 6", anyway, because you have to joint two sides. (You can get around this with planer jigs, etc., but it's kind of a pain.) Also, remember that resaw capacity adds 6" to the height of the machine. Depending on your height, that can make the tension more difficult to adjust.
* HP - I have a 1 HP motor and it's fine.
* Fence - It doesn't have to be fancy. If the saw doesn't come with one, you can definitely make one.
I would also consider a Rikon saw. I don't know much about them, but they seem to be getting good reviews lately.
Mark

Call up Iturra and get their free catalog. It's a 200 page tutorial on bandsaws!

The Iturra just raised their price because they improved it. I think it's $53. I just ordered one, and it does not fit my Jet 14" Deluxe. The Tension Release lever is in the way. I called them and they are working on a solution, so I am going to send mine back and wait for the new model.

[...]
Mark,
That was the first thing I bought. It is a good book and I have learned quite a bit. After all, woodshop was about 22 years ago. The Delta 28-206 has most of the things that you listed and comes with a riser kit through a mail-in rebate.
This saw is in my price range and someone has already said "What do you need to spend $500 + on a saw for?".
I have thought about adding bearing guides but they restrict the use of narrower blades. Are Cool Blocks good enough?
Thanks, Gene

Cool Blocks plenty good. I considered getting bearing guides, but my research found a lot of people who said they didn't notice any difference before and after bearing guides.
I also use a Lenox bi-metal blade, which stays shart A LOT longer than standard blades.
Mark
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:01:01 GMT, eugene snipped-for-privacy@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Hog Head) wrote:

Avoid Taiwan stuff. Read Duginski's book before you buy.
I'd take a look at some of the Rikon stuff. I bought their 18" that was written up in Fine Woodworking and absolutely love it. It's a well thought out and designed tool. Rikon seems to be making products with the end woodworker in mind. Has a lot of extra features that have obviously been put in by someone who really uses these kinds of tools. Think they make a couple of smaller sizes. As for the whole made in Taiwan argument - that's pretty baseless anymore. Vast majority of woodworking tools are being made in foundries in Taiwan now. The quality varies as much as any US made quality will (and good luck finding US made tools). The key is to figure out what features you need on your tool (power, cutting capacities, blade change ease, tensioning ease, etc), find a few tools and do what you're doing here - ask the people who already have them. I didn't buy my Rikon until I saw one at my local Woodcraft. Was sitting side by side with comparable Delta and Jet saws. Was a no brainer. Fit, finish, features and price all pushed me to the Rikon and I'm happy with the purchase.
My 2 cents
Gary in KC

Anyone know anything about the Grizzly Ultimate 14". http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G0555
Thanks,
Gene

Love mine! Haven't had the time to put much use on it lately, but I resawed some 9-10" Maple slab on it a while back, it worked just fine. I bought the riser kit & mobile base, never did really try it w/o riser, just went straight to it. That Maple was cut with a 3 TPI hook, 3/4" Grizzly blade. Had to put it through the planer a couple passes to smooth it out, but I was very happy with the results.
--
Nahmie
Gary I looked at the Rikon and side by side it sure looks exactly like the CanWood. http://www.westerntool.com/product.htm?pidF0604 , http://www.rikontools.com/14inbandsaw.htm