try square question

Reply to
nospambob

that's a combination square....

Reply to
bridger

I think the "correct" way to do it is to use your highly-accurate macninist's square to check the accuracy of your try square. Once you have verified that your try square is, indeed, square, you use the try square to draw lines perpendicular to the reference edge on your workpiece. The marking gauge (or a height gauge) would be used to draw lines parallel to your reference edge.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen

There are try-squares that have a short bevel as well--the ones that do also generally have a levelling vial in the "handle".

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's why it's important to be careful about dictionaries. The ones in English that "count" are Merriam-Webster (note--the "Merriam" is important--a kid can write one in crayon and sell it as "Webster" without the "Merriam") for the American language and Oxford for British--there's one for Australian as well but I don't know if it's the Macquarie or the Australian Oxford. FWIW, Oxford has a page and a half of very fine print on "Zero", and at no point in that body of discussion is it suggested that "zero" is synonymous with the letter "O".

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think he may be describing a non adjustable try/tri square that has a "short" 45 degree edge where the 2 pieces are joined. If you line that 45 degree edge up to the edge of your board, the long end of the square will be at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the board.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah... LOL dictionaries and their definitions become obsolete as quickly as computers do.

Reply to
Leon

You can verify if your square is square by simply using it to draw a line perpendicular to the edge of a board and then flipping the square over to the other side of the line and seeing if the line is parallel to the square with no gap.

Reply to
Leon

And I still remember the controversy over whether we should put a slash through the letter or the number so the keypunchers could tell which we meant.

I finally resorted to putting a note at the top of each coding sheet that said which was slashed - but it's been so long I don't remember which that was :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sloppy? It's perfectly good English; North American as well as European English. That's how any one I know says it when stating their phone number. When you hear an area code "205 -..." don't you pronounce it "Two Oh Five - ..."?

I've also programmed and taught it, and if you used an "O" instead of a Zero [slash-O], it was because of your own lack of comprehension at the time, using alpha instead of numeric out of context. I had to help a person who said he'd "written a program" when in fact he'd simply copied it wrongly, not understanding what a DIM statement actually did, setting aside storage. It should have made sense at the time, or you would have, or should have asked at that time.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

When I pronounce my area code, I always pronounce it "three-zero-six".

But then, I'm a bit strange (or so I've been told).

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

As a long time radio opperator, the importance of being understood was ingrained in me a long time ago. No, I NEVER say O when I mean zero. It is just plain sloppy. Have you ever programed a robot in G code? If not, you have no idea what you are talking about. Letters and numbers are mixed and they are NOT interchangable.

Reply to
CW

As you should. Just because others can't speak correctly doesn't mean you have to fallow their lead.

Reply to
CW

ALL of England, Canada, and so far as I know the U.S. telephone operators say "Oh". "Zero" is for the military.

Not "G-code", but assembler [and plain hex dumps] among several high level languages, and I certainly realise that "alphanumeric" code still distinguishes O and 0, and that they are not interchangeable. That is precisely the point. You blamed your teacher for your own [at that time] lack of understanding. The logical context should have given you the clue, not the pronunciation.

Enough already. It's about a "try square".

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Ain't got no "Oh"s or "Zero"s in my phone number. Got several "niners" 'though.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Zero has the slash. On occassion, we'd put a dot in the middle of the "Oh" .

Renata

Reply to
Renata

While they may do that, it's sloppy. There is a letter "O" on the US telephone dial and it corresponds to the "6", not the zero.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
nospambob

"Oh" in the phone number is a bad holdover from the days when we dialed "Operator" for all the long distance calls. Anybody who served in the military should have been quickly broken of the habit because of the confusion it can cause.

rhg

Tom Veatch wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway