Trust my protractor?

.0095 degrees.

Reply to
CW

I take it then by the no response Doug, that square really isn't square if its a Starrett. But I won't dog you on this as you did me over the word "must" since I knew what your intent was and I don't have to *prove* I was right...;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Reminds me of an old one:

In this world, there are often two sides to an issue. One is right, the other is wrong. It can be difficult to determine which is which, and we can debate it for some time. In the interest of brevity, I have a simple solution to determine who is right, and who is wrong. I'll take the former, you take the latter. Case is settled.

Reply to
Herman Family

Not a case of "no response", Bob -- I haven't been near the computer for 8 or

9 hours. See my other post in this thread.

Doug Miller

Angle of error = arctangent ( 0.002 / 12 ) = 0.00955 degrees

So it's within less than 1/100 degree of perfectly square.

Doug Miller

well, I'm glad you included the Incra, as that's MY "guaranteed square". 'twas a X-mas gift that I ask for when folks asked for ideas. I got the 5" one so that I can place it next to the BS blade to set the table perpendicular. Not that that's the only thing I use it for, of course.

dave

Doug Miller wrote: If the

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

As far as I can tell, there isn't much difference in accuracy between Incra and Starrett; they're both as close to dead-on perfect as I need them to be. I found the Starrett combination square preferable because (a) I needed an accurate, easy-to-read rule as well, (b) it combines accurate 90 and 45 degree angles in one tool, and (c) it's cheaper than buying an Incra 90 *and* an Incra 45 *and* a rule.

Doug Miller

Doug, I've got one of the worlds LEAST accurate combo squares; a Stanley. I should probably toss it into the recycle bin. I sure as heck won't use it on a WW project. It's a LITTLE less accurate than

0.00955 degrees! :)

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You could have done the same job with a pair of pliers and a bottle of whiskey. See how much money you could have saved? :)

Reply to
CW

That would have been cheaper, but not less painful.

Reply to
Silvan

Geez, if it isn't square, make it so. I've filed a bit on my "Japanese" combination square so it matches, and ditto some lumps on speedsquares. You talk all the time about fettling planes, why shy from squares?

The first square I can remember, an old metal Stanley from dad's 50's shop is now square, and in use at my house. I have a feeling dad never used it much after the many drops it suffered from me.

Reply to
George

Well ... close enough. My marking knife would make more of a deviation than that over the 12" length.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Au contraire there Dave. There was an article last year in one of the trades where the Stanley was actually rated very highly - if it's the yellow bodied one. The article also showed how to true and tighten them up. I was surprised at how accurate they said some of the lower cost versions were.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

mine is painted black and is from around the mid 70's.

dave

Bob S. wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

ohhhhhh........well JOAT has some yeller paint I'm sure he'd loan ya....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

A bit late but I just caught this...

Lesee, a computer geek away from his 'puter 9 hours....nahhhhh.... Withdrawl symptoms start at 4 hrs and are unbearble after six. At 9 hours - you're not breathing anymore so it musta been closer to 8 hours...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

:-)

Yeah, it prolly was more like 7. Couldn't be helped though: time in the shop, then go pick up the kids from school, run one of them over to baseball practice, fix supper, eat supper, prayer service at church with SWMBO, pick up kid from baseball practice... time flies.

Doug Miller