Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish

I am probably daft for even considering it, but I am thinking of building a wooden bird bath to stand permanently in my garden. Can anyone tell me if there is a glue out there that will stand being constantly immersed in water and is there a finish that will waterproof and preserve the timber without poisoning the birds or tainting the water?
While I have your attention any suggestions as to the timber?
Gary(UK)
Gary Dean wrote:

West Epoxy will satisfy all you asked for, but it will still need something to protect it (and the wood) from UV.
Richard
Gary Dean wrote:

Resorcinol glue is generally preferred for bonds that will be immersed in water. WEST epoxy, System 3, or any other good epoxy should also work. As for a finish that's non-toxic and good for continuous immersion, you're better off with a plastic liner.
There aren't any really good choices for lumber--the woods that stand up well when continuously wet are difficult to bond.
--John

Epoxies and Polyurethanes are supposed to be waterproof.
For the bowl itself, however, you might want to consider designing in the manner of redwood water tanks that are held together mechanically and rely on the swelling of the wood for seal. Can you get redwood or something similar in the UK?
Frank

I'm sure you can use a marine epoxy varnish--not cheap. I guess white oak would work, but any plastic or concrete bird bath will outlast the wood.

I'd line the inside with glass cloth and polyester resin, same as used for boats.

That sounds like a fine idea. You are right that constant immersion requires a special glue, more than just weatherproof and as others have said you need to worry about UV light. You _can_ do the job by using boat building timbers, adhesives and finishes but if it was me I would want to put it in the garden and leave it to weather so use a timber suitable for outside use like a good dense oak or a cedar, line the bowl with a bit of roofing lead beaten into shape with a rubber mallet, sit the foot on a piece of stone to keep it off the wet ground, design and join in such a way that it will be resistant to seasonal soaking, freezing, baking and drying and it sounds like a really cool project. Good luck.
Tim W
Thanks Fellas
There are some very useful suggestions in there and will get back to you when I have finished the bath and given it a season or two to weather in. Gary