truing rough cut big leaf maple

wood working 101
i was given about a 1000? bf, a full size PU truck loaded as full as i could get it without side racks, of very rough cut (Volkswagen mill), full dimension 2" x 4-6-8-10-12" x 8-10-12' big leaf maple, with some fiddleback, that was stacked and stickered in an open shed for a couple of years. i now have it stacked and stickered in a enclosed, but not heated, space with a fan. when i first put it in the shed it was 18% moisture content, a friend had a meter which we checked with before we stacked the wood about 2 months ago. i haven't checked the moisture since then. i am not sure what to expect or/or what would be the best way to proceed. i don't have the time at the moment for any great time consuming projects but would like to prepare and/or preserve the wood as much as possible for future use. all ideas, advice would be appreciated! and i agree that this will be an excellent chance to buy a new tool. heck, with all the money i am saving on materials i may even be able to justify two! :o) thanks chuck b:-)
Sounds like it's time for a nice wide jointer. To properly square up the material the first step is to flatten one face with a jointer. You'll be forced to rip it down to thinner pieces if they won't fit in one pass on your jointer so wider is better.
If you want a really wide jointer and have a similar sized stack of money, you could go for one of the european combo units that have a 12" wide (or wider I think) jointer, planer and sliding table saw all in one beig expensive unit. These are much more popular in Europe. I think maybe Felder?
Oh yeah, you surely get some of the traditional crowd telling you you can hand plane all this stuff and that's an option alos I guess. You would surely be good at it by the time you finished.
Happy Thanksgiving, sounds like a nice pile o' lumber.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:05:34 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

I think even Jet and Grizzly are now doing 12" jointer/planer combos.
chuckb wrote:

thanks for the replies!
chuck b:-)