True resaw capacity of Delta 28-475X band saw?

The Delta 28-475X bandsaw has 14 in. wheels, a 1.5 HP motor, and a resaw capacity of 12 in. (with riser block). Costs $900, made in the US, gets good reviews. I'm seriously thinking about acquiring one.
Someone told me recently that the real resaw capacity when cutting hardwood on this machine is actually only somewhere between 6 and 8 in.
So now I'm wondering: Assuming I have a good resawing blade, will this machine resaw up to 12 in. of hardwood? Anyone had experience actually doing this?

Now just who told you that and why?
Others seem to disagree. http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/deltax528-475rvu.html
I'm sure you can get faster, maybe better results from a 21" Laguna but this one seems to work.

Hardwoods, cutting speeds and blades differ. If you regularly need to resaw that size stock, you ought to at least consider a larger, possibly steel framed, bandsaw.
That particular bandsaw is, however, regarded as one of the very best of it's class.
The right tool for the right job, etc. A woodworker of my acquaintance has four in his shop.
Patriarch
Noth without a riser kit. Probably closer to 6in without the riser kit
14in is the WHEEL diameter, NOT the resaw capability
John
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:38:11 GMT, "Billy Smith"

I realize that this saw would need a riser block to cut through anywhere near 12 in. of wood.
I'm talking about using this saw to resaw 12 in. pieces only occasionally. The rest of the time it would get light use, usually resawing no more than 6 to 8 in. I just want to know if I can do the 12 in. pieces once in a while if I want to.

I used the grandfather of this machine in an adult ed shop, to resaw a 10" wide cherry panel, perhaps 30" long.
IF you have a very sharp blade, of the proper type,
AND your saw is properly set up and tensioned,
AND you have the proper fence, properly adjusted,
AND the woodworking gods are with you that day,
you CAN resaw an irreplaceable panel at 1/4".
I made a fair amount of scrap, learning on soft maple, before I got a useable maple panel, and proceded to the cherry, with success.
It is much easier on the Jet 16 now in my home shop, although it is limited to about 10" in height. With a good blade, tensioned right, no problem. Many of my woodworking friends in analog life have a version of this saw, and are well served. Folks who regularly resaw for their work generally step up to larger saws.
Your shop. Your work patterns. Your dollars. It's a good saw.
Can you buy from a local dealer, and try one out?
Patriarch
I'm beginning to think this is the saw for me. I've already learned the hard way about using the right blade when trying to resaw. I'll keep in mind the importance of the other factors you list.
This saw is on sale at local Woodcraft. Don't know if I could return it.

It is a fair question to ask of them. They have a standard 1 year satisfaction guarantee, or they once did. I don't know that it covers everything they sell, or under what conditions.
Patriarch
Yes it will and you can resaw 12". I have the Griz 555 with 1hp motor and resaw 11" maple without a problem using 3 tpi 1/2" Timberwolf blades. A slow steady push works great (slow not at "snail" speed). The resaw height may be slightly less than 12" due to mechanical clearance problems; so figure on 11 - 11 1/2" of actual resaw height.
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com

My Jet works fine for thin pieces w/riser. The upper blade guide is longer, so you just drop it near the surface.
Having the guides close to the wood is more critical than the distance between the top wheel and the upper blade guide. This is the one thing that changes when you get a riser, and this isn't something that causes problems. On the other hand... Thrust Bearings Guides Blades Tension Co-Planar wheels Fence Table Tension Spring
- These things have a much bigger impact that the distance/flex between the wheel and the upper guides. I think I saw one reference to someone who beefed up the metal frame in his saw. No one else discusses any problem.
I'd get the riser kit right away. That way you only have one set-up, and all of the blades are the same length.