True Confessions: Saftey gear

Page 3 of 3

Not for ear protection they certainly do *not*.

You discount sound leakage around the ear canal. At 30dB, you're down a factor of 1000. Conduction through the jaw bone and through the throat passage into the inner ear become significant, which is *not* taken into account by the muffs or plugs. The added "protection" isn't. There is good reason there aren't products out there that are much better than about 35dB; can't happen.
Ear plugs have reasonable leakage factored into them. The dB noise gain figures are still added.
The bone conduction you mention is real but not a factor in cochlear damage as the frequency range conducted is not a problem and cartilage tends to not conduct as well.
Any sounds conducted thourh your musculoskeletal system of that magnitude would give you more than just cochlear damage. We are talking airborne noise here and the medium density impedance change is not conducive to transmitting noise this way. If you are talking jack-hammer vibration then we have a concern. Being that is not the topic of this group the rest is just nonsense.
wrote:

Not for ear protection they certainly do *not*.

WRONG! Attenuation is only additive if the attenuators are completely in series. In this case they are not.

Sound is sound. Above a certain level it *will* damage the ear.

The above is nothing more than word salad.
We were demonstrated to, in a workplace safety meeting, the use of the better quality paper particulate filters. Ones with the heavy duty double elastics and proper nose pinch metal with various gaskets out the perimeters.
Nobody could make them work, period! They leak like crazy around the edges. It was quite amusing to see the wearer, approached with the smouldering test stick, and watch the response as the wearer jumped back gagging and coughing as soon as the tester even got close.
The only ones that were effective were two types with the double filters on the sides. People with moustaches had a hard time getting a seal, at any rate. Some had claustrophobia attacks when wearing them...LOL
What eye safety do you use? What lung safety do you use?
I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection, usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.
I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

I was taught basic lung safety in basic training. Tear gas and smoke. With masks and without for at least a minute. Then there were the colored smoke grenades dropped down the concrete pipe - blew blue, yellow and red snot for days.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:09:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

When in the shop, I wear safety glasses with bifocals. Always. I even wear them when mowing or edging the lawn, pruning, or doing anything with tools.
For lungs, I wear a half-face respirator with HEPA filters if I'm doing anything that rasies a lot of dust or fine wood cuttings. I learned my lesson working padauk, and the WORST dust I've ever experienced: imbua.
-Zz
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:09:53 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I wear safety goggles and earmuffs as the situation requires. For dust control I use a DustBeeGone mask I bought about 20 years ago. For noxious fumes I have what I call a gas mask :-).
And I hate wearing all of them except the earmuffs :-).

I use noise canceling head phones for the router and planer, most every thing else is relatively quiet.
I use a dust collector for the coarse stuff and the Festool vac with HEPA filter for the fine stuff when sanding, cutting Domino mortises and probably the TS75 track saw.
I use prescription polycarbonate lens in my daily glasses.
I now more often use my eyes and head to protect my digits.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:09:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
Eyeglasses 18/7. (no sleepie in glassie) Add face shield for router work/wire brushes/angle grinding.

Respirator for more than 1 cut on the tablesaur (none for a quickie or Galoot work.) Respirator w/ organic vapor for finishing (if doors not open, and even sometimes with the open doors, depending on the solvents.) Respirator with dust filters for mowing, composting, and weedeating.
Earmuffs for mowing/sawing/routing/planing/impactors/shooting.

Get a good-fitting respirator with silicone mask. They're much better for fogging. Even the exhaust-buttoned cloth masks fog my glasses, and even if I put extra dense foam above the nosepieces. Suckage!

Ayup. See above.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!