True Confessions: Saftey gear

Page 2 of 3
On 6/14/2010 10:15 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Old joke--the difference between a chemist and a physicist is that a chemist washes his hands _before_ he goes to the bathroom.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Reminds me of college. One of our shop's "grommet burns" (everyone gets together for much Mexican food and even more beer), the new kid runs off to the bathroom. One of the wives yells out, "wash your hands FIRST". "Huh?" Everyone splits a side...

Sure it does. Use what you'd use if you ate something that was too "hot". Water and beer just move the pain around. Bread and milk will quench the pain. May look funny but it'll work.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can honestly say that I have eaten and handled my fair share of jalapeρo peppers. They were hot to eat and don't get the juice in your eyes but I have never witnessed burning skin ....
Add pictures here
βœ–
but I

how about foreskin?
Add pictures here
βœ–
How about just one skin?
but I

Add pictures here
βœ–
but I

how about foreskin?
Never washed my hands before... ;~)
Add pictures here
βœ–

J:
If you mosey on over to www.chilipepperinstitute.org , you can get some seeds or sauce made from the Jolokia chili pepper. A hot Habanero is about 30,000 Scoville Heat Units. The Jolokia rates over one million SHU. Bottled purgatory.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:05:33 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

White Vinegar rules here. Lemon juice works well, too.

I used to live in Sandy Eggo county. One of the Thai restaurants there, Spicy Thai IIRC, had two different heat charts. The first was a 1 to 10 for American chiles. The second started where our hottest chile left off and went from 1 to 20. I used to like my food hot, but I never dared go into the Thai Zone for chile heat. They were probably similar to Jolokias.
Ever licked a tear from a Habaρero cry and gotten your mouth burnt all over again?? ;)
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
βœ–

I've worked around industrial planers and moulders for about 25 years, when I worked in close proximity to the machines I would wear plugs and muffs, both good quality, certain ranges of my hearing are gone.
I don't really know how loud these planers are but I have seen them peg a 140db meter, at some level hearing protection fails as the sound travel through the rest of your body.
basilsik
Add pictures here
βœ–

None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits). BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I always wear earmuffs with my cheap sliding chop saw. They hang on the blade cover so I have to do something with them. The ring of the blade is so bad it actually hurts my ears.
I already have tinnitus quite bad and you don't want to share that one. People think it is a joke until they lay awake at nights wondering if they will go crazy. Sometimes I can hear it over movies rocking the house on the 600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass boom box shaking the floor.
I blame most of this on small staple guns and the odd framing nailer shot (you know the ones that just dribble out of the end?...LOL). Every so often you get your head and ears between two joists and the shot deafens you.
Protect your ears from long or loud exposures! Unexpected ones are hard to protect against.
None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits). BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can assure you the 600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass boom box shaking the floor is not helping your situation
Add pictures here
βœ–
It's called "habituation" and it does help, according to some medical authorities. It can also help hyperacusis.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Tell your neighbours that! ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
They can't see the screen. It is assumed to be more earth packing going on in the neighbourhood and we give the "I wonder?" look, like the rest of the hood...LOL
I have a four pitch train whistle that goes at nights sometimes, also and we have no tracks within 40km (US = 30 miles)

βœ–

None of my tools are loud enough to cause pain. I've been tempted to take a sound pressure meter home to measure them, but so far haven't thought of it when I was going to use the tools. It's full summer now, so the tools are probably going to get a rest for a few months. :-(

I've had tinnitus on and off for a few years. It doesn't bother me all that much and it certainly doesn't keep me awake. Little does. ;-)

My shop tools aren't loud enough and I certainly don't use them long enough to matter, though the router is probably pushing it. What bothers me far more is constant sinewave I listen to occasionally at work (testing audio equipment). I can hear them for hours afterward (mostly 1kHz).
Add pictures here
βœ–

None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits). BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.
Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't spend much time in the containment when the planer is running full tilt.
basilisk
Add pictures here
βœ–
Many of our construction workers that are hearing conscious wear ear plugs (30dB rated) along with the ear muffs for really noisy equipment.
The 60-70dB combo should get you in a better noise level for short term exposures.
It's really about the time-weighted noise curves. You can handle high volumes for short term exposures without recognizable cochlear damage.
None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits). BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.
Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't spend much time in the containment when the planer is running full tilt.
basilisk
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're *not* going to get the sum of the two by wearing a belt and suspenders.

Yes, but the curve certainly isn't straight. There is a point where damage is pretty much instantaneous and there are levels were life isn't long enough for damage to occur. ;-)
<...>
Add pictures here
βœ–
dB measurements do add linearly. It is a relative logarithmic scale that makes calculations easy for audio and small signal people to express and calculate.