True Confessions: Saftey gear

I hope that

SWMBO is not "single white male best offer", in this case...LOL

My son was cleaning up the yard to make some money and got into some poison ivy. He wasn't too bad, but just picking his clothes off the floor and moving them 3' to the washing machine was enough to give SWMBO a *severe* case. It was everywhere, even where women *really** don't want it. I'm not allergic to it, but don't tempt fate either.

Reply to
Josepi

I've worked around industrial planers and moulders for about 25 years, when I worked in close proximity to the machines I would wear plugs and muffs, both good quality, certain ranges of my hearing are gone.

I don't really know how loud these planers are but I have seen them peg a

140db meter, at some level hearing protection fails as the sound travel through the rest of your body.

basilsik

Reply to
basilisk

I have an older brother that is allergic to poison ivy, I'm not. We would fight and any time it looked like he was going to best me poison ivy provided me safe passage. Not much good in a rock fight though.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits). BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.

Reply to
keithw86

Old joke--the difference between a chemist and a physicist is that a chemist washes his hands _before_ he goes to the bathroom.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I always wear earmuffs with my cheap sliding chop saw. They hang on the blade cover so I have to do something with them. The ring of the blade is so bad it actually hurts my ears.

I already have tinnitus quite bad and you don't want to share that one. People think it is a joke until they lay awake at nights wondering if they will go crazy. Sometimes I can hear it over movies rocking the house on the

600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass boom box shaking the floor.

I blame most of this on small staple guns and the odd framing nailer shot (you know the ones that just dribble out of the end?...LOL). Every so often you get your head and ears between two joists and the shot deafens you.

Protect your ears from long or loud exposures! Unexpected ones are hard to protect against.

Reply to
Josepi

None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits). BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.

Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't spend much time in the containment when the planer is running full tilt.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Many of our construction workers that are hearing conscious wear ear plugs (30dB rated) along with the ear muffs for really noisy equipment.

The 60-70dB combo should get you in a better noise level for short term exposures.

It's really about the time-weighted noise curves. You can handle high volumes for short term exposures without recognizable cochlear damage.

Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't spend much time in the containment when the planer is running full tilt.

basilisk

Reply to
Josepi

I wear safety goggles and earmuffs as the situation requires. For dust control I use a DustBeeGone mask I bought about 20 years ago. For noxious fumes I have what I call a gas mask :-).

And I hate wearing all of them except the earmuffs :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard
[top posting fixed - please stop doing that]

Doug Miller

I can honestly say that I have eaten and handled my fair share of jalapeño peppers. They were hot to eat and don't get the juice in your eyes but I have never witnessed burning skin ....

Reply to
Leon

I use noise canceling head phones for the router and planer, most every thing else is relatively quiet.

I use a dust collector for the coarse stuff and the Festool vac with HEPA filter for the fine stuff when sanding, cutting Domino mortises and probably the TS75 track saw.

I use prescription polycarbonate lens in my daily glasses.

I now more often use my eyes and head to protect my digits.

Reply to
Leon

I can assure you the 600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass boom box shaking the floor is not helping your situation

Reply to
Leon

but I

how about foreskin?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:09:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote the following:

Eyeglasses 18/7. (no sleepie in glassie) Add face shield for router work/wire brushes/angle grinding.

Respirator for more than 1 cut on the tablesaur (none for a quickie or Galoot work.) Respirator w/ organic vapor for finishing (if doors not open, and even sometimes with the open doors, depending on the solvents.) Respirator with dust filters for mowing, composting, and weedeating.

Earmuffs for mowing/sawing/routing/planing/impactors/shooting.

Get a good-fitting respirator with silicone mask. They're much better for fogging. Even the exhaust-buttoned cloth masks fog my glasses, and even if I put extra dense foam above the nosepieces. Suckage!

Ayup. See above.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:11:25 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote the following:

How about "saftey"? Don't drink and post, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about just one skin?

snipped-for-privacy@v29g2000prb.googlegroups.com... but I

Reply to
Josepi

It's called "habituation" and it does help, according to some medical authorities. It can also help hyperacusis.

Reply to
Josepi

J:

If you mosey on over to

, you can get some seeds or sauce made from the Jolokia chili pepper. A hot Habanero is about 30,000 Scoville Heat Units. The Jolokia rates over one million SHU. Bottled purgatory.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey