Trouble setting up new table saw

Page 2 of 5

Well in my case I had the applicable measuring tools from a number of engine overhauls I had done some years ago, they were readily adapted to this task, and using them in this way was not a special "treat".
Individuals have varying philosophies about what is important in all manner of things; I guess woodworking is no different. But referring to someone's attempt to simply realize the full potential of a sizable investment as "OCD" strikes me as childish name calling and requires no further response.
Thanks again to those who made helpful replies to my post.
Dan
"Dan" wrote in message

someone's
response.
Bzzzzt! ... If you'd been around a little longer, you'd realized that "OCD" was a reference to Ed's self characterization in a recent thread on plywood manufacture.
You apology is accepted. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Yeah, right.

You've got to be kidding me.
"Dan" wrote in message

Actually, you're kidding yourself if you think it was in reference to you. Nonetheless, I'm indeed sorry that you took it that way.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07
"Dan" wrote in message

Here ya go, Bubba:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/57f55af26b79bd38
... read it and weep.

Nope, as I said, and as you see from the above, you were actually kidding yourself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

So what? The 2 discussions are in no way connected. He also uses the word "the" many times in his posts. Does that mean every time you use that word it's in reference to Ed? I originated a post about measurements, and it was obviously my concerns about them which you were characterizing as "OCD". Your comment in no way implies anything else. Instead of being an adult and apologizing, you're trotting out this bullshit.
PLONK, mallethead.
"Dan" babbled some nonsense and plonked

I always wonder about these guys. They get all upset about a light hearted remark. And then shut themselves off from the real resources of the newsgroup.
I am not going to defend swingman. Not only did he not do anything, I can't imagine anybody taking Dan seriously. And I am sure the Mr Bennet would have found Mr Swingman's comment to be funny.
This is a classic example of style over substance. Or political correctness run amok. OCD is a term that many overacheivers use to describe themselves. It is not the insult that some folks imagine. Ed Bennet used it to describe himself.
Is it OK for Ed to characterize himself in this fashion? If so, are others guilty of some kinda cosmic trangression if they describe Ed in the same fashion?
Maybe it is a joke thing. The Joke Police want to outlaw all humor. A joke was made. Most of us laughed. Somebody went nuts and imagined all kinds of horrors because we commited a cardinal sin of laughing at a joke. Apparently this guy suffers from Humor Impairment Syndrome.
I have a simple criteria for reading posts. Are they of value to me? Are they educational? Are they enjoyable? Most of the folks who post good things on this forum are also blessed with a sense of humor. It makes this a fun place.

I think he just got fed up with all the mocking taunts. Dan had a real problem with real consequences and he was looking for real answers. Emotocons should be used to indicate the meaning behind the statement, not as a license to belittle someone.
I don't think Dan shut himself off from "real" resources. After all, swingman didn't actually offer a solution to the problem, just a way to live with it. Which is pretty surprising given that he owns such an expensive tablesaw, a good alignment tool, and has 30 years of experience.

I'm certainly not going to defend swingman either. I think he should have a lot more to offer than a bunch of belittling taunts. Just look at his web site. Clearly, he shouldn't need to put others down in order to feel good about himself.

Taken by itself, I don't think the OCD comment is the problem. But, conbined with all the other comments (including the "your apology is accepted") it is clearly the last straw in a couple of bales worth of demeaning statements.

I think so.

Nope. I think we all want the manufacturers of our tools to be obsessed with quality and accuracy. And, I think the finest woodworking comes from people who are obsessed with the details. So, I'm always surprised to hear some self proclaimed expert making fun of detail oriented people. It makes me think twice about their "expertise".

Well, while I don't mind being characterized as obsessive and compulsive when it comes to quality and accuracy, I do mind having my products described as the biggest waste of time for anal woodworkers. It mocks me, my products, and my customers. And, making fun of the real solution to Dan's problem is pretty annoying too.
An alalogy might help. What if someone was going around saying that the pictures on swingman's web site weren't of his work. He's really a hack that can't put together a plywood box to save his life. He has a shop full of expensive tools and machinery but can't figure out how to use them. The only people who hire him are those who have more money than brains. That's why he taunts people in the newsgroup - he isn't busy doing woodworking and it's the only way he can feel good about himself. He couldn't have solved Dan's problem in a million years. ;-)
Does the smiley make it all better? Hmmm....swingman might even get a bit defensive.
I realize his comments were made in jest (since swingman is one of my customers) but people will read them for years to come and may not realize that it's self deprecating (until they read this). And, the smiley doesn't really make it any better.

I think Dan probably ascribes to the same philosophy. He just didn't appreciate being the butt end of this particular humor. Good friends can poke and jibe at eachother without insult. Not quite the same thing when dealing with strangers.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
Ed Bennett spewed forth delusional froth from the assumed moral high ground:
<snip>

Tsk, tsk. Don't flatter yourself, Ed. Go make some sawdust ... there's a slim chance that it just may help with that wrongheaded, humorless, self righteousness.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Careful Swingman, the bait has been carefully placed and the fisherman has spied a catch that he probably hopes he can reel in. ;~)
RE: Subject
There are over a billion Chinese people.
My guess is less than 100 million can read this thread.
Of that 100 million, probably less than 50 million can understand the thread.
Of that 50 million, probably less than 25 give a fuck about the thread.
Lew
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:27:01 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Yes but a few thousand of them are making table saws, and are insuring that ole Ed will have a bright and prosperous future selling those gadgets to try to reset them. :~)
Frank

Wow, do you usually make friends this easily?

Well, ;~) spending a lot of time doing test cuts to sneak up on a setting is certainly less than desirable. However, ;~) If you don't make a test cut after changing a bevel or miter angle you are making a test cut on you project wood. I stole that from the, "test a finish on scraps rather than your project". Almost always I make the test cut to verify that I have set the machine up to the correct angle to start with. LOL

Thanks Leon, it sounds like your medium is much happier than some others!
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
"Ed Bennett" wrote in message

Well, Ed ... and since you haven't noticed, that pretty well sums up my point all along about "making sawdust". :)

the
for
skills
Nor will you get an argument from me on that score ... and we also need to keep in mind that the vast majority of woodworkers, even with today's technology, are doing excellent work without a TS saw capable of being aligned, or maintaining alignment, to that thousandths of a gnats ass.

Rarely happens to those who don't fixate on alignment at the exclusion of working wood :)
FWIW, my table saw is aligned to ".003" all around, which has pretty much always been proven by the end product ... you just provided the verification ... thanks, again! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Ed, it sounds like he's offering to pay your travel expenses. <g>
--
Regards,
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
"Dan" wrote in message

Yeah ..., make some goddamn furniture and quit f*cking with the table saw! <G>
If nothing else, what I did for the 30 years before I had a table saw worth "setting up" ... a plane and a shooting board.
It is absolutely ridiculous to get bogged down in measuring, in thousandths the tools we use, in a medium that is liable to change +/- 1/16th between sundown and sunrise.
And ... beware of those who do nothing else but measure, and make no sawdust whatsoever.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07
Swingman wrote:

Good quality pieces are designed to handle wood dimension changes. It's expected. That doesn't mean that you can cut your parts to +/- 1/16th and have it come out anywhere close to decent right off the saw.
If the power tools aren't accurately set up it means that the hand tools get more of a workout paring and shooting to get everything accurate.
Chris